Katy Perry Tweets Response After Tying Michael Jackson's Historic Record
After being held off for two weeks, Katy Perry finally reaches the top spot on Billboard Hot 100 and breaks the 53-year record history of the chart. She quickly tweeted, "What a way to wake up! SO proud to announce that the little-engine-that-could of a song 'LAST FRIDAY NIGHT' is officially #1 & made HISTORY!"
Perry becomes the first woman and second artist overall after Michael Jackson who has five separate No. 1s on one album alone. Receiving the unprecedented feat through "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)", she thanked her fans, "I couldn't have done it with out ya, really I owe u guys BIG... so take this moment to give yourself a high FIVE!!! #allbecauseofu."
While she is tied to the legendary King of Pop who scored the accolade with his 1987's "Bad", the wife of comedian Russell Brand is a winner among her equals. She comes one step ahead of Justin Timberlake and Lady GaGa who both had four No. 1's in 2006's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and 2009's "The Fame" respectively.
Beside celebrating the new record, Perry is additionally celebrating her extention on the top 10. By May this year, she has already spent 52 consecutive weeks - an entire year - in the top 10 of the U.S. single chart. This week marks Perry's 66 consecutive weeks occupying the top 10, dating back to the arrival of Snoop Dogg-assisted single "California Gurls" in May 2010.
Perry becomes the first artist in more than five-decade history to do so. She surpassed the previous record held by Ace of Base who had occupied the Hot 100's top 10 for 48 straight weeks (October 1993- September 1994) with such singles as "All That She Wants", "The Sign" and "Don't Turn Around".
More Katy Perry News
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories
- Kylie Jenner Has a Good Reason Why She Mistook a Pig for a Chicken in Viral Clip
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.02 Sneak Peeks: Rick Relinquishes Control, Andrea Tours the Kingdom
- Kanye West Vows to Boycott Grammys if Frank Ocean Isn't Nominated
- See President Obama Joining Usher, Janelle Monae and More to Dance to Drake's 'Hotline Bling'
- New Look at Dafne Keen as X-23 in 'Logan' Uncovered
- Report: Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Kings of Leon Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Walls'