Eminem Crowned King of Hip-Hop, Beating Kanye West and Jay-Z
Eminem is named the most successful rapper by Rolling Stone. While the Slim Shady beats Kanye West and Jay-Z on the list, he fell short on Forbes' Hip-Hop "Cash Kings" list as Kanye occupies the third spot and Jigga sits at the first place.
In deciding the King of Hip-Hop, Rolling Stone gathered data from 2009 through the first seven months of 2011. They ranked 20 solo rappers who have dropped an album during the period of time, and looked at their album sales, R&B/hip-hop and rap charts, popularity in social media, concert grosses, awards and critics' ratings.
In alphabetical order, the contenders are Big Boi, B.o.B, P. Diddy, Drake, Eminem, Fabolous, Lupe Fiasco, Gucci Mane, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Pitbull, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, T.I., Waka Flocka Flame, Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa. Describing the word "King" as a gender-neutral term, they also include femcee Nicki Minaj on the list.
The survey shows that the Bad Meets Evil rapper rules in multiple categories including album sales and social media ranking. He sold 7.5 million copies album from his two efforts; 2009's "Relapse" and 2010's "Recovery". He was ranked the first in social networking with almost 5 million Twitter followers, 43 million "likes" on Facebook, and 1 billion views on YouTube.
A couple place lower, there are Kanye and Jay-Z who sit at No. 4 and 5 respectively. The former got the most awards during the period of 2009 and mid 2011 by bagging a total of 65 trophies. The latter, meanwhile, received the best rating in album reviews from the critics.
Ahead of the two rappers, Lil Wayne and Drake round up the top 3 by occupying the second and third place respectively. Weezy earned more cash from his tour than any other MCs by grossing $51 million. Drizzy, meanwhile, was the king of the single chart.
Rolling Stone's King of Hip-Hop:
- Suspect in Ariana Grande Concert Bombing Identified, His Brother Arrested by Police
- Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel Reunite to Cover Classic 'High School Musical' Song
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown