Eminem Crowned King of Hip-Hop, Beating Kanye West and Jay-Z
Eminem is named the most successful rapper by Rolling Stone. While the Slim Shady beats Kanye West and Jay-Z on the list, he fell short on Forbes' Hip-Hop "Cash Kings" list as Kanye occupies the third spot and Jigga sits at the first place.
In deciding the King of Hip-Hop, Rolling Stone gathered data from 2009 through the first seven months of 2011. They ranked 20 solo rappers who have dropped an album during the period of time, and looked at their album sales, R&B/hip-hop and rap charts, popularity in social media, concert grosses, awards and critics' ratings.
In alphabetical order, the contenders are Big Boi, B.o.B, P. Diddy, Drake, Eminem, Fabolous, Lupe Fiasco, Gucci Mane, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Pitbull, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, T.I., Waka Flocka Flame, Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa. Describing the word "King" as a gender-neutral term, they also include femcee Nicki Minaj on the list.
The survey shows that the Bad Meets Evil rapper rules in multiple categories including album sales and social media ranking. He sold 7.5 million copies album from his two efforts; 2009's "Relapse" and 2010's "Recovery". He was ranked the first in social networking with almost 5 million Twitter followers, 43 million "likes" on Facebook, and 1 billion views on YouTube.
A couple place lower, there are Kanye and Jay-Z who sit at No. 4 and 5 respectively. The former got the most awards during the period of 2009 and mid 2011 by bagging a total of 65 trophies. The latter, meanwhile, received the best rating in album reviews from the critics.
Ahead of the two rappers, Lil Wayne and Drake round up the top 3 by occupying the second and third place respectively. Weezy earned more cash from his tour than any other MCs by grossing $51 million. Drizzy, meanwhile, was the king of the single chart.
Rolling Stone's King of Hip-Hop:
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'