MTV Renews 'Awkward' for Season 2
As it was anticipated, MTV officially renewed comedy series "Awkward" for season 2. The network has ordered 12 episodes for the new chapter which is slated to debut in early 2012. "We love the show and Awkward's comedic voice really shines through in such a brilliant way in these episodes," MTV head of programming David Janollari gushed about the show.
The news comes on the heels of a high rating for the teen series. It drew 1.9 million viewers on Tuesday, August 9, up from the 1.7 million who tuned in the July 19 series premiere. Last week's episode also drew 2.0 rating, up 21 percent from the week before.
"Awkward" is created by Lauren Iungerich, whom Janollari praised for her voice which is "incredibly resonant" with MTV's core young audience. The network will also produce a new pilot from Iungerich titled "Dumb Girls".
Starring Ashley Rickards as main character Jenna Hamilton, "Awkward" airs every Tuesday at 11 P.M. There are seven episodes left from the first season.
MTV has previously renewed another freshman "Teen Wolf", but decided not to move forward with its sophomore "The Hard Times of Rj Berger".
- Drake Meets J.Lo's Children - Are They Getting Serious?
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth