MTV Renews 'Awkward' for Season 2
As it was anticipated, MTV officially renewed comedy series "Awkward" for season 2. The network has ordered 12 episodes for the new chapter which is slated to debut in early 2012. "We love the show and Awkward's comedic voice really shines through in such a brilliant way in these episodes," MTV head of programming David Janollari gushed about the show.
The news comes on the heels of a high rating for the teen series. It drew 1.9 million viewers on Tuesday, August 9, up from the 1.7 million who tuned in the July 19 series premiere. Last week's episode also drew 2.0 rating, up 21 percent from the week before.
"Awkward" is created by Lauren Iungerich, whom Janollari praised for her voice which is "incredibly resonant" with MTV's core young audience. The network will also produce a new pilot from Iungerich titled "Dumb Girls".
Starring Ashley Rickards as main character Jenna Hamilton, "Awkward" airs every Tuesday at 11 P.M. There are seven episodes left from the first season.
MTV has previously renewed another freshman "Teen Wolf", but decided not to move forward with its sophomore "The Hard Times of Rj Berger".
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?
- Report: Taylor Swift Is Pursuing Prince Harry After Tom Hiddleston Split
- Margot Robbie in 'Saturday Night Live' Promo: I'm a Felon
- Watch James Corden and Backstreet Boys' Synchronized Dance for 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)'
- Gal Gadot Flaunts Sexy Body in Skimpy Lingerie in 'Keeping Up with the Joneses' Clip
- 'Empire' 3.03 Preview: Wrong Charge