'Spider-Man' Musical Actor Locks Jeff Buckley Role in Jake Scott-Directed Biopic
The Jake Scott version of Jeff Buckley biopic has finally found its leading man. The "Welcome to the Rileys" director has chosen Reeve Carney to portray the late musician in the project which is still untitled.
Explaining his reason to pick the 28-year-old actor, who sounds not familiar in Hollywood, Scott said, "We are excited to have found in Reeve the perfect combination of musical prodigy, impish charm, innate intelligence and sensitivity to play Jeff." Carney himself is best known for playing Peter Parker a.k.a Spider-Man in the Broadway show "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark".
Moreover, Buckley's mother Mary Guibert, who serves as executive producer for the project, also gave her approval for Carney. "We are over the moon that Reeve has agreed to take on this challenging role," Guibert said, before adding, "He's been getting ready for this all his life. It certainly doesn't hurt that he looks so much like Jeff."
Previously, there was a swirling speculation that Robert Pattinson was wanted to star in the biopic. The Edward Cullen of the "Twilight Saga" franchise had formerly lost the coveted role to "Gossip Girl" star Penn Badgley in another version of Buckley's film, "Greetings from Tim Buckley", which is directed by Dan Algrant.
The untitled Jeff Buckley project follows the short life of the inspirational singer-songwriter who died at the age of 30 in a mysterious drowning accident in Wolf River Harbor. The production will begin in November in New York and Memphis with Michelle Sy and Orian Williams serving as the producers. Ryan Jaffe, meanwhile, will provide the script.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences