'Sesame Street': No Gay Marriage for Asexual Bert and Ernie
There won't be a wedding for Bert and Ernie from "Sesame Street" despite an online petition urging producers to let the two characters get married. Sesame Workshop has stated that Bert and Ernie are not gay, insisting that they are only "best friends".
"They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves," so the workshop said in a statement. "Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."
Jimmy Kimmel, meanwhile, had his own way to explain why Bert and Ernie would not get married. Wearing a cowboy costume during his "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" show, he got on his high horse to tell people that Bert and Ernie, as puppets, do not have genitals.
Giving another evidence that they are not gay, Kimmel pointed out about Burt's distinctive eyebrow, "No self-respecting homosexual would leave a unibrow like that unplucked." When addressing Bert and Ernie bathing together, he joked, "What roommates don't?... It's okay to wash your friends." In a more serious note, the funnyman reminded people that the characters are still six years old.
The online petition, which has been signed by more than 3,000 people, ask producers to let Bert and Ernie marry "in a tasteful way" to teach tolerance to young children. However, some others argue that to identify the characters with a sexual orientation serves only to infuse "the passions of adults" into what is a show for young children.
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Iggy Azalea Sparks Butt Implant Rumors With Instagram Photo. What Expert Says?
- Cara Delevingne Fuels St. Vincent Engagement Rumors With This Photo
- New Trailer for Baz Luhrmann's 'The Get Down' Turns Shady Life Into Hope
- 'Moana' Characters Unveiled in New Posters
- Watch Usher, Josh Groban and More Tell Politicians 'Don't Use Our Song' in New Clip
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC