'Sesame Street': No Gay Marriage for Asexual Bert and Ernie
There won't be a wedding for Bert and Ernie from "Sesame Street" despite an online petition urging producers to let the two characters get married. Sesame Workshop has stated that Bert and Ernie are not gay, insisting that they are only "best friends".
"They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves," so the workshop said in a statement. "Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."
Jimmy Kimmel, meanwhile, had his own way to explain why Bert and Ernie would not get married. Wearing a cowboy costume during his "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" show, he got on his high horse to tell people that Bert and Ernie, as puppets, do not have genitals.
Giving another evidence that they are not gay, Kimmel pointed out about Burt's distinctive eyebrow, "No self-respecting homosexual would leave a unibrow like that unplucked." When addressing Bert and Ernie bathing together, he joked, "What roommates don't?... It's okay to wash your friends." In a more serious note, the funnyman reminded people that the characters are still six years old.
The online petition, which has been signed by more than 3,000 people, ask producers to let Bert and Ernie marry "in a tasteful way" to teach tolerance to young children. However, some others argue that to identify the characters with a sexual orientation serves only to infuse "the passions of adults" into what is a show for young children.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences