Nicki Minaj Breaks Hot 100 Record With 'Super Bass'
Nicki Minaj has celebrated another chart record. A year after becoming the first femcee to top Billboard Rap Songs since Lil' Kim reigned it with 2003's "Magic Stick", the Barbz Queen scored Hot 100 highest-charting single by female rapper in nearly a decade.
28-year-old Minaj got the accolade for climbing to No. 3 on the U.S. single chart with her latest offering "Super Bass". The Young Money first lady becomes the first female MC to reach such high place since Missy Elliott peaked at No. 2 with "Work It" in 2002.
"Nicki isn't like any other female rapper," Cash Money co-founder/co-CEO Ronald "Slim" Williams sang praise for her. "We knew she had the goods when Lil Wayne signed her. She's not a female rapper -- she's a pop star who happens to rap."
While Minaj successfully broke record, fellow artist Katy Perry who is expected to score another accolade by moving up to No. 1 remains at the runner-up place. If she climbs up to the top spot, she will be placed next to Michael Jackson as the only artists to have five chart-topping single from one album.
More Nicki Minaj News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'