'Dirty Dancing' Choreographer to Direct the Musical Remake
Lionsgate has hired Kenny Ortega, the man behind musical hit "High School Musical", to direct a big-screen remake of "Dirty Dancing". Ortega himself was a choreographer of the original 1987 movie.
"The opportunity to direct 'Dirty Dancing' is like returning home for me," Ortega said on being attached to work on the upcoming film. He added, "Growing up in the 60's on the dance floor helped define me as a person and as an artist."
The helmer of Michael Jackson's "This Is It" also revealed his plan for the remake. He said, "I am looking forward to assembling a great creative team and an exciting cast to bring 'Dirty Dancing' to the screen for a new generation."
"Patrick Swayze set the bar for men dancing the movies as Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire did before him," the director of "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" added. "I believe everywhere you look there is evidence that the talent is out there and I can't wait to begin the process of discovering the next breakout triple-threats."
Meanwhile, Joe Drake, president of Lionsgate's Motion Picture Group, explained about the project, saying, "We believe that the timing couldn't be better to modernize this story on the big screen, and we are proud to have Kenny Ortega at the helm."
Aside from the directing duty, Ortega will also produce the film along with Debra Martin Chase. Meanwhile, Eleanor Bergstein, who penned the script and co-produced the original version, is currently in talks to join the board of producers.
The original "Dirty Dancing" was starring Swayze and Jennifer Grey. It tells a story about a teenage girl on summer vacation with her family at a Catskills resort in 1963. She fell in love with the head dance instructor and his risque moves.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences