Mel Gibson Reunites With Estranged Wife for Formerly Conjoined Twins' Birthday
Mel Gibson and his estranged wife put aside their differences for a special celebration. On Saturday, August 6, the "Edge of Darkness" star reunited with Robyn at the 10th birthday party of Guatemalan twins who were connected at the skull before being separated during a 23-hour operation at UCLA Medical Center in 2002.
Helping to celebrate Maria de Jesus and Maria Teresa Quiej-Alvarez's milestone at the Hawaiian-themed bash in Malibu, the 55-year-old actor told PEOPLE, "We're all involved in Josie and Teresa's lives." He added, "It's incredible seeing Josie and Teresa do so well. Listening to Josie speak, you think, 'Man, this is the happiest kid I've ever seen.' "
Mel came to the party, which was also attended by his three children and three grandkids, separately from Robyn. Though so, PEOPLE reported that the 55-year-old actor, who was snapped blowing a raspberry at Teresa, greeted his estranged wife midway through the event. He also wiggled the toes of their 5-month-old grandson and said, "He likes that."
Mel is a long-time supporter of Mending Kids International, which paid for the twins' $1.5 million surgery. During the birthday cake cutting ceremony, he and his estranged wife, who was once a president of the nonprofit group's board of directors, were honored for their generous support of Mending Kids.
Of working with the organization, the "Braveheart" actor said, "It gives you perspective." He elaborated, "It's one of my faults, you tend to focus on yourself a lot. Which is not always the healthiest thing for your psyche or anything else. If you take a little time out to think about other people, it's good. It's uplifting."
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed