Brett Ratner 'Shocked' Being Chosen to Produce 2012 Oscar Telecast
On Thursday, August 4, "Rush Hour" helmer Brett Ratner was announced by The Academy President Tom Sherak as a producer of next year's Oscar ceremony. The director of "X Men: The Last Stand" will join forces with veteran TV show producer Don Mischer.
"One of my dreams was just to be a member of the academy. I was shocked when they let me in after 'Rush Hour'," Ratner said in a joint phone call with Mischer. "That's unbelievable. I just love film and wanted to be a filmmaker, but this went beyond my dreams."
Recalling when he was first approached for the job, Ratner said it happened a few weeks ago. He needed some time mulling it over before meeting with Mischer and deciding to accept it. They were clicked at their first get-to-know meeting at the Beverly Glen deli. They started throwing ideas about the telecast right then, and both were impressed with each other's creativity.
"Don's experience and his knowledge of the process and how to execute something like this," Ratner gushed. "I'm sure if it was just me, they'd be even more doubtful then they already are, saying what the hell does he know about a 3-hour live telecast. Having Don here gives me a lot of confidence and as you know I already have a little bit of that."
In return, Mischer said of the action movie director, "Brett's a risk-taker and loves a challenge. Ideas just flow from him. He's going to make it fun." Prior to teaming up with Ratner, Mischer partnered with Bruce Cohen in co-producing the 2011 Oscar show last February.
Hosted by James Franco and Anne Hathaway, the 83rd annual telecast received negative critiques and pulled in just 37.6 million total viewers. It suffered 10% decrease in rating compared to that of last year's show which was hosted by Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.
For the 84th celebration, Academy Awards will be held on February 26, 2012 at the Kodak Theater at Hollywood and Highland Center, Hollywood. Its nominations are scheduled to be announced on January 24 at 5:30 A.M. PT at Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
- Bye 'KUWTK'! Kim Kardashian Is Focusing on Her New Show 'Glam Masters'
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Are Getting Serious
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child