Confirmed: 'My Week with Marilyn' to Premiere at New York Film Festival
Michelle Williams-starring biopic about phenomenal actress-singer Marilyn Monroe, "My Week with Marilyn", is set to be premiered at the New York Film Festival. The Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced on Thursday, August 4 that the movie will have its special screening on Sunday, October 9 during the event.
On why they chose to include "Marilyn" in the prestigious festival, Richard Pena, selection committee chair and program director of the society explained, "After seeing Marilyn Monroe so often portrayed in films as a caricature, it is a pleasure to see this complex personality and unique on-screen presence portrayed so well by such a talented actress Michelle Williams."
Directed by Simon Curtis, "My Week with Marilyn" is based on Colin Clark's diaries, in which he documented the interaction between Monroe and Sir Laurence Olivier during the making of 1956's movie "The Prince and the Showgirl". The film chronicles a week Monroe spent in Britain accompanied by Clark after her husband left her during their honeymoon.
Williams is joined by notable stars in the cast ensemble, including Eddie Redmayne who will play Clark and Kenneth Branagh who will portray Olivier. "Harry Potter" actress Emma Watson as well as "Captain America: The First Avenger" actor Dominic Cooper are additionally supporting the movie which is slated for limited release in U.S. theaters on November 4.
Along with "Marilyn", the NYFF, that will run from September 30 until October 16, has also listed special screening for some other movies, including a digitally-restored version of William Wyler's "Ben-Hur" and Nicholas Ray's "We Can't Go Home Again".
There will also be a special screening to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Japan's Nikkatsu Films. 36 Japanese movies will be featured during the event, including Kon Ichikawa's "The Burmese Harp", Masahiro Makino's "Singing Love Birds" and Ko Nakahira's "Crazed Fruit". Meanwhile, Roman Polanski's "Carnage" is set to kick off the festival.
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly