Lady GaGa, Eminem and Taylor Swift Up for MTV VMAs' Best Video With Message
MTV Video Music Awards has added a new category this year. The likes of Lady GaGa, Eminem and Taylor Swift are announced as nominees along with three other fellow artists Pink, Katy Perry and Rise Against.
Those six musical acts are fighting to take home Best Video With a Message. It's a special category that recognizes artists who use their music videos to send positive messages of empowerment or raise awareness of social issues that youth are dealing with.
GaGa gets the nod for the self-love message in "Born This Way" clip, the Slim Shady is recognized for his effort to raise awareness for domestic violence in Megan Fox-starring "Love the Way You Lie" video, and Swift receives the nomination for her fight against bullying in "Mean" clip.
Pink, meanwhile, is named as one of the nominees for teaching fans the importance of self confidence in "F***in' Perfect" clip. Perry gets the nod for inspiring those who feel alone and unworthy to stay strong in "Firework" video. Rise Against is included among those five artists for speaking out against prejudice and hatred in "Make It Stop (September's Children)" clip.
"During the past year, we've seen a remarkable number of artists use their music to explore deeply personal experiences and issues they were passionate about to create powerful videos that resonated with and inspired millions of their fans," said Stephen Friedman, president of MTV.
2011 MTV VMAs will be held in a live telecast at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on August 28. Lil Wayne, Adele and Chris Brown have been confirmed as performers. Presenters and other musical acts are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics