Oprah Winfrey Set to Receive Humanitarian Oscar
Oprah Winfrey will be getting an Oscar. The former daytime talk show queen is set to be honored with a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Governors Awards that will take place on November 12 at the Grand Ballroom at the Hollywood & Highland Center. She will receive the Oscar statuette for her extensive charitable, philanthropic and educational works.
Although Winfrey is best known as a talk-show host and TV producer, she was once nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in a 1985 movie "The Color Purple". She has also made a special appearance at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995, where she presented the Hersholt Award to Quincy Jones.
Beside Winfrey, other persons who are going to be honored at the Governors Award are James Earl Jones, who had appeared in more than 50 films and lent his voice for Darth Vader in "Star Wars", as well as makeup artist Dick Smith, who started his career in 1945 and won an Oscar for his works in 1984's film "Amadeus". Both of them will get Honorary Award in recognition of their lengthy and distinguished careers.
The Academy's Honorary Award is given to an individual for "extraordinary distinction in lifetime achievement, exceptional contributions to the state of motion picture arts and sciences, or for outstanding service to the Academy." The Academy's board of governors voted on the recipients on Tuesday night during the board meeting and announced them later after the recipients had been notified.
- Lady GaGa Is Obsessed With Barbra Streisand
- 'Katrina: American Crime Story' Taps Matthew Broderick to Play Michael D. Brown
- Lauren Graham and Dylan McDermott to Lead FOX's New Comedy Pilots
- Kanye West to Launch Makeup for Men
- Emma Watson Shines Like a Princess at 'Beauty and the Beast' Premiere in London
- Listen to Zedd and Alessia Cara's New Single 'Stay'
- Oops! Gigi Hadid Stumbles During Moschino Show at Milan Fashion Week
- Kris Jenner Is Ready to Fight for Full Custody of Rob's Daughter Dream