Oprah Winfrey Set to Receive Humanitarian Oscar
Oprah Winfrey will be getting an Oscar. The former daytime talk show queen is set to be honored with a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Governors Awards that will take place on November 12 at the Grand Ballroom at the Hollywood & Highland Center. She will receive the Oscar statuette for her extensive charitable, philanthropic and educational works.
Although Winfrey is best known as a talk-show host and TV producer, she was once nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in a 1985 movie "The Color Purple". She has also made a special appearance at the 67th Academy Awards in 1995, where she presented the Hersholt Award to Quincy Jones.
Beside Winfrey, other persons who are going to be honored at the Governors Award are James Earl Jones, who had appeared in more than 50 films and lent his voice for Darth Vader in "Star Wars", as well as makeup artist Dick Smith, who started his career in 1945 and won an Oscar for his works in 1984's film "Amadeus". Both of them will get Honorary Award in recognition of their lengthy and distinguished careers.
The Academy's Honorary Award is given to an individual for "extraordinary distinction in lifetime achievement, exceptional contributions to the state of motion picture arts and sciences, or for outstanding service to the Academy." The Academy's board of governors voted on the recipients on Tuesday night during the board meeting and announced them later after the recipients had been notified.
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding