Warner Bros. Wants Edgier and Darker 'Green Lantern 2' With New Director
A sequel for "Green Lantern" is still possible to hit the big screen, despite its disappointing box office performance. Warner Bros. Pictures points out that they still put the DC Comic-adapted movie as a top priority and even already have a plan for the sequel, revealing that it will be "edgier and darker."
"We had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience," Jeff Robinov, WB's film group President, told Los Angeles Times. "To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action... And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth."
Some sources close to the sequel project revealed that for the screenplay, WB still hires scribe trio Donald De Line, Greg Berlanti and Andrew Haas, who penned the script for the first movie. However, the studio is planning to make a significant change to the outline that the trio have already written.
It was additionally said that the studio will find a new director because they are not pleased with Martin Campbell's work for the previous film. Responding to the issue, an insider close to Campbell said that the filmmaker's contract actually gave him an option to work on a sequel. That means, the studio will have to spend more money if they want to move forward without the "Casino Royale" director.
"Green Lantern" was released on June 13 this year, with Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard and Mark Strong lining up in the cast ensemble. The movie ended up raking in only $114 million at the U.S. box office.
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?