'G.I. Joe 2' and 'Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol' Get New Release Date
Paramount Pictures has confirmed new release date for its two upcoming action/adventure movies, "G.I. Joe 2" and "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol". While the sequel to "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" is now set to hit U.S. theaters on June 29, 2012, the Tom Cruise-starring film is rescheduled to arrive in the nation on December 21, 2011.
"G.I. Joe 2" was formerly scheduled to be debuted on August 10, 2012. The current slot was originally set for the studio's other project, "Untitled Star Trek Sequel", which has J.J. Abrams as the director. With the new date, "G.I. Joe 2" will compete with highly anticipated superhero film "The Amazing Spider-Man", which will be dropped just a few days later on July 3.
In addition to getting a new release date, the Jon M. Chu-directed film, which was previously called "G.I. Joe 2: Cobra Strikes", is reportedly retitled "G.I. Joe: Retaliation".
"M:I-4", meanwhile, was previously slated for November 16 release, along with other anticipated holiday movies, such as "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked".
With the new schedule, the film is up against David Fincher-directed drama "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)", followed two days later by Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn", Chris Gorak's "The Darkest Hour", Cameron Crowe's "We Bought a Zoo" and Angelina Jolie's "In the Land of Blood and Honey".
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7