Michael Jackson Tribute Concert Sparks Family Feud
A tribute concert to remember Michael Jackson has been announced by the late King of Pop's mother Katherine and siblings La Toya Jackson, Tito Jackson, Marlon Jackson and Jackie Jackson. However, the plan was slammed by other members of the Jackson clan just hours after the announcement.
Coming forward to speak up their protest were Jermaine Jackson and Randy Jackson. "Today's press conference in Los Angeles announced a tribute concert to Michael to be attended and supported by the Jackson family. However, we want to make clear that this does not reflect the position of the entire family," they said in a joint statement.
Explaining why they opposed the remembrance gig, the two brothers stated, "While we wholeheartedly support the spirit of a tribute that honors our brother, we find it impossible to support an event that is due to take place during the criminal trial surrounding Michael's death."
The two brothers added, "There will come a time and place for an amazing and deserving tribute to Michael, but we feel that the most important tribute we can give to our brother at this time is to seek justice in his name."
Dubbed "Michael Forever Tribute Concert", the gig will take place in Cardiff, Wales, on October 8. A month prior, jury selection in the involuntary MJ manslaughter trial of Dr. Conrad Murray is scheduled to kick off. The case is expected to last four to six weeks after the proceedings commence on September 20.
No musical guests have been confirmed, but Katherine assured fans that whoever makes the cut would be "the world's greatest performing artists" that "fit for a king." Beside remembering MJ's legacy, the gig will also raise money for three charities including the Los Angeles-based Aids Project.
"Michael gave his entire life to the world through his love, his music and his devotion to healing the planet. I am positive that this event will be an event great enough in scale, talent and imagination to form a worthy celebration of Michael's life," so Katherine gushed.
More Michael Jackson News
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes