M.I.A. and Big Boi Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse in Songs
Following Amy Winehouse's passing on Saturday, July 23, fellow artists M.I.A. and Big Boi released a tribute song each. The "Paper Planes" hitmaker dropped an unfinished demo called "27", which is the age when Amy died.
"I took you to the clinic/ To get you clean but you couldn't," the 36-year-old singer croons the lyrics full of grief, referring to Amy's struggle to stay sober during these past years. "Your friendship did mean something/ But you left me for nothing."
The OutKast member, meanwhile, made public an unreleased Organized Noize Dungeon Family remix of Amy's single "Tears Dry on Their Own". He wrote on Twitter, "Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and now Amy Winehouse. All died aged 27. RIP to you all."
Other artists who mourned Amy's death included Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry. RiRi tweeted a picture of herself posing with Amy and wrote, "I am genuinely heartbroken about this #DearAmy." Minaj posted, "Please tell me Amy Winehouse didn't die. Is this some sick joke?"
Katy sent her prayer, "RIP Amy Winehouse. May she finally find peace." Her husband Russell Brand, meanwhile, posted a lengthy tribute letter. Remembering the late singer as a "f***ing genius" with incredible talent, he wrote, "she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable."
Kelly Clarkson regretted Amy's death, "What a waste of a gifted person. What a shame she saw no hope and continued living her life in that manor (sic). I have been that low emotionally and mentally and that is overwhelming." Usher shared his grieving, "I'm so sad to hear the horrible news of Amy Winehouse's death. I'm so happy I knew you Amy... Rest Well. Gone Too Soon... we'll miss you!!"
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London Apartment. Her last onstage appearance was at the iTunes Festival in London on Wednesday, July 20. She joined her goddaughter Dionne Bromfield at the gig. After her passing, Dionne canceled "all media commitments until further notice." She said, "I'm totally devastated. Amy was my inspiration."
Amy's tribute "27":
Amy's tribute "Tears Dry on Their Own":
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off