M.I.A. and Big Boi Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse in Songs
Following Amy Winehouse's passing on Saturday, July 23, fellow artists M.I.A. and Big Boi released a tribute song each. The "Paper Planes" hitmaker dropped an unfinished demo called "27", which is the age when Amy died.
"I took you to the clinic/ To get you clean but you couldn't," the 36-year-old singer croons the lyrics full of grief, referring to Amy's struggle to stay sober during these past years. "Your friendship did mean something/ But you left me for nothing."
The OutKast member, meanwhile, made public an unreleased Organized Noize Dungeon Family remix of Amy's single "Tears Dry on Their Own". He wrote on Twitter, "Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and now Amy Winehouse. All died aged 27. RIP to you all."
Other artists who mourned Amy's death included Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry. RiRi tweeted a picture of herself posing with Amy and wrote, "I am genuinely heartbroken about this #DearAmy." Minaj posted, "Please tell me Amy Winehouse didn't die. Is this some sick joke?"
Katy sent her prayer, "RIP Amy Winehouse. May she finally find peace." Her husband Russell Brand, meanwhile, posted a lengthy tribute letter. Remembering the late singer as a "f***ing genius" with incredible talent, he wrote, "she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable."
Kelly Clarkson regretted Amy's death, "What a waste of a gifted person. What a shame she saw no hope and continued living her life in that manor (sic). I have been that low emotionally and mentally and that is overwhelming." Usher shared his grieving, "I'm so sad to hear the horrible news of Amy Winehouse's death. I'm so happy I knew you Amy... Rest Well. Gone Too Soon... we'll miss you!!"
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London Apartment. Her last onstage appearance was at the iTunes Festival in London on Wednesday, July 20. She joined her goddaughter Dionne Bromfield at the gig. After her passing, Dionne canceled "all media commitments until further notice." She said, "I'm totally devastated. Amy was my inspiration."
Amy's tribute "27":
Amy's tribute "Tears Dry on Their Own":
Amy's last performance:
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences