Incarcerated Ja Rule Gets More Jail Time for Tax Evasion
A little over than a month after he began serving his two-year jail sentence on a gun possession charge, Ja Rule is hit with more bad news. On Monday, July 18, the 35-year-old artist was sentenced to 28 months in a federal prison for failing to file tax returns with the IRS over the period of five years.
Minutes before being sentenced, the "Mesmerize" rapper said, "I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal." He further explained, "I was a young man who made a lot of money - I'm getting a little choked up - I didn't know how to deal with these finances, and I didn't have people to guide me, so I made mistakes."
Ja Rule pleaded guilty to three counts of unfiled taxes back in March. He, at the time, admitted he had failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million in income that he earned from 2004 to 2006. Along with his jail sentence, the MC has also been ordered to pay $1.1 million in unpaid taxes.
On the bright side, the rapper whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins is allowed to serve his 28-month federal sentence at the same time as his gun charges sentence at New York State's Oneida Correctional Facility. He was sent to prison on June 8 after pleading guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch