Incarcerated Ja Rule Gets More Jail Time for Tax Evasion
A little over than a month after he began serving his two-year jail sentence on a gun possession charge, Ja Rule is hit with more bad news. On Monday, July 18, the 35-year-old artist was sentenced to 28 months in a federal prison for failing to file tax returns with the IRS over the period of five years.
Minutes before being sentenced, the "Mesmerize" rapper said, "I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal." He further explained, "I was a young man who made a lot of money - I'm getting a little choked up - I didn't know how to deal with these finances, and I didn't have people to guide me, so I made mistakes."
Ja Rule pleaded guilty to three counts of unfiled taxes back in March. He, at the time, admitted he had failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million in income that he earned from 2004 to 2006. Along with his jail sentence, the MC has also been ordered to pay $1.1 million in unpaid taxes.
On the bright side, the rapper whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins is allowed to serve his 28-month federal sentence at the same time as his gun charges sentence at New York State's Oneida Correctional Facility. He was sent to prison on June 8 after pleading guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Gets New Title
- Kim Kardashian Doesn't Want Her Daughter North West to Be Managed by Kris Jenner
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'