Howie Mandel to Bring 'Celebrity Stand-Up' Battle to U.S.
Howie Mandel is developing the U.S. version of "Celebrity Stand-Up". The comedian-turned-TV personality's shingle Alevy Productions and Angel City Factory will produce the adaptation which follows celebrities revealing their personal anecdotes, writing sketches based on their stories and delivering a stand-up in front of a live audience who vote on who to send to the next round.
"There really isn't anything like 'Celebrity Stand-Up' on air in the U.S. right now," the 55-year-old gushed. "I see it as a unique and clever spin on the immersive celebrity interview. The contestants must examine their own lives to write sketches based on their personal experiences, and challenge themselves to go outside their comfort zones."
Teasing further about the show, Mandel told The Hollywood Reporter, "The result is celebrities exposing themselves in a very honest and raw way, giving viewers a really intimate insight." Chris Cowan, Co-CEO of Angel City Factory, praised the "America's Got Talent" judge, "Howie is still a prolific stand-up comedian himself as well as a well-known and experienced TV personality, so as a producer, he will really be able to get the most out of this format..."
The reality show still does not have a home network. Banijay distribution arm Banijay International will be shopping the "Celebrity Stand-Up" format to international buyers at the MIPCOM tradefair in Cannes this October.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7