'Deathly Hallows Part 2' Storms Box Office With Highest Opening Ever
A bunch of people eager to bid farewell to Harry and friends have helped "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" break records. The movie debuts at North American Box Office on number one with the biggest opening weekend ever, collecting a staggering $168.6 million. It surpasses previous record holder "The Dark Knight" which grossed $158.4 million domestically.
The last installment of the boy wizard film franchise also casts its spell overseas. It opens to a huge $307 million through screenings in 59 countries, bringing its worldwide debut to $476 million. The David Yates-directed movie tops prior all-time benchmark of $394 million set by its predecessor "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".
Another major debut this week is "Winnie the Pooh", which comes close to enter the top five with estimated $8 million. It lands on number six, trailing behind "Cars 2" which is pushed down one position from number four with approximately $8.3 million.
Meanwhile, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" which topped the chart last week secures runner-up title this week with additional $21.2 million. "Horrible Bosses" and "Zookeeper" also drop one position each. The former is on number three with estimated $17.6 million, while the latter lands on number four with approximately $12.3 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for July 15-17:
- "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" - $168.6 million
- "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - $21.2 million
- "Horrible Bosses" - $17.6 million
- "Zookeeper" - $12.3 million
- "Cars 2" - $8.3 million
- "Winnie the Pooh" - $8 million
- "Bad Teacher" - $5.2 million
- "Larry Crowne" - $2.6 million
- "Super 8" - $1.9 million
- "Midnight in Paris" - $1.9 million
- Hilary Duff Posts Steamy Throwback Pic With Beau Matthew Koma
- Lady GaGa Is Obsessed With Barbra Streisand
- 'Katrina: American Crime Story' Taps Matthew Broderick to Play Michael D. Brown
- Lauren Graham and Dylan McDermott to Lead FOX's New Comedy Pilots
- Kanye West to Launch Makeup for Men
- Emma Watson Shines Like a Princess at 'Beauty and the Beast' Premiere in London
- Listen to Zedd and Alessia Cara's New Single 'Stay'
- Oops! Gigi Hadid Stumbles During Moschino Show at Milan Fashion Week