Video: David Letterman Pokes Fun at Ed Sullivan Theater Break-In
Since his studio was not harmed during a break-in at Ed Sullivan Theater, David Letterman managed to tape "Late Show with David Letterman" on schedule and even joked about the incident in Monday (July 11) episode of his show. "It's not just a talk show, this is an active crime scene," he said during his monologue. "I'm told now that Jay [Leno] has an alibi."
The 64-year-old comedian then showed "security footage" of the incident to audience, claiming he had not watched it before. But the fake tape captures Paul Shaffer, the leader of Letterman's late night show band, cursing Letterman and rampaging through the lobby with a baseball bat. "You stole about 28 years of my whole life," Shaffer shouted in the fake footage.
Further poking fun at the incident, Letterman's Top 10 list that night was about "Top 10 excuses of the guy who broke into the Ed Sullivan Theater". Some of the points on the list are, "When did stupid human tricks become illegal?", "It was on my list of places to ransack before I die," and "Thought the place was abandoned."
Meanwhile, real security footage capturing James Whittemore who trashed Ed Sullivan Theater has been aired by CBS2. The 22-year-old man was seen knocking down garbage can and kicking the doors. He was arrested and charged with burglary and criminal mischief on Sunday. His attorney has said, "He believes he was there, but he was intoxicated to the point that he doesn't remember."
Part of David Letterman's monologue:
Preview of "Top 10 excuses of the guy who broke into the Ed Sullivan Theater":
Real security footage of Ed Sullivan Theater break-in:
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It
- Scott Disick Hangs Out With Khloe Kardashian Look-Alike in the Beverly Hills Hotel
- Has Zoe Saldana Revealed 'Avengers 4' Title?
- Kendrick Lamar Announces 'The Damn. Tour' Dates