'The Vampire Diaries' to Return With Elena's Birthday
Elena Gilbert is one year older when "The Vampire Diaries" returns for a third season this fall. Executive producer Julie Plec has revealed that the major female character will turn 18 during the premiere of the new chapter, saying "Our first episode is Elena's 18th birthday."
"There will be a small time jump [from where last season ended] as we celebrate Elena's birthday," Plec told TV Guide. "But as is the pattern in Mystic Falls, the event never reaches its climax." Sharing how Elena's birthday will bring impact to her life, Plec added, "Elena and Jeremy technically don't need a parent living in their house [following Aunt Jenna's death]. She will be taking care of herself."
Spilling another detail from the upcoming season, Plec said, "Over the course of the season, Elena will be struggling with a deep, deep attraction toward Damon. That's going to be a big problem for her." Still, she insisted that she would never exploit her actors' personal lives, possibly referring to Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's off-screen romance.
Hinting at a new character who will bring more troubles to Elena, Plec revealed that the new season will feature Rebecca, a yet-to-be-cast vampire from Stefan's "darkest ripper days who loves that Stefan's back to his bad behavior."
Season 3 of "The Vampire Diaries" will start airing Thursday, September 15 on The CW. The stars namely Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola and Joseph Morgan are set to attend a panel for the show at San Diego Comic Con on Saturday, July 23.
More The Vampire Diaries News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris