Prince William Gives Kate Middleton Consolation Hug Post Dragon Boat Race Win
Prince William and Kate Middleton's friendly dragon boat race in Canada ended up with a consolation hug. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge showed there were no hard feelings after he beat her at the Prince Edward Island boat race on Monday, July 4 by sharing an affectionate embrace as they stepped back onto land.
Before the newlyweds went head to head in the afternoon race across Dalvay Lake, they joked about each other's chances of winning. Asked who was going to win, William told reporters "We are. Of course!" and Kate responded, "He'll be lucky." Still, the duchess seemed less certain as she approached her team and admitted, "Not sure about that. I'm feeling slightly nervous." William's team turned out to be the victor at the end of the race, coming in first by a third of a length.
After the two climbed ashore, Kate told attendee Hillary Thompson that "maybe next time" she'll win and jokingly tried to push her husband into the water. William himself joked, "There is no chivalry in sport," as he accepted the prize of a bottle of champagne from Canadian Olympic bobsled gold medalist Heather Moyse.
Kate began the day wearing a cream pencil dress by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen. For the boat race event, she traded the dress with tight black leggings and open-necked sweatshirt. She also tied her hair back. Her husband William, in the meantime, was clad in a blue checked shirt and grey cords. After the race, the two took part in a traditional Mi'kmaq smudging ceremony and sampling local culinary delicacies.
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen
- Ciara Is Pregnant With Russell Wilson's Baby. See the Sweet Announcement
- Perrie Edwards Splits From Luke Pasqualino After Two Months of Dating
- Shawn Levy to Direct Sony's 'Uncharted' Movie
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says