Prince William Gives Kate Middleton Consolation Hug Post Dragon Boat Race Win
Prince William and Kate Middleton's friendly dragon boat race in Canada ended up with a consolation hug. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge showed there were no hard feelings after he beat her at the Prince Edward Island boat race on Monday, July 4 by sharing an affectionate embrace as they stepped back onto land.
Before the newlyweds went head to head in the afternoon race across Dalvay Lake, they joked about each other's chances of winning. Asked who was going to win, William told reporters "We are. Of course!" and Kate responded, "He'll be lucky." Still, the duchess seemed less certain as she approached her team and admitted, "Not sure about that. I'm feeling slightly nervous." William's team turned out to be the victor at the end of the race, coming in first by a third of a length.
After the two climbed ashore, Kate told attendee Hillary Thompson that "maybe next time" she'll win and jokingly tried to push her husband into the water. William himself joked, "There is no chivalry in sport," as he accepted the prize of a bottle of champagne from Canadian Olympic bobsled gold medalist Heather Moyse.
Kate began the day wearing a cream pencil dress by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen. For the boat race event, she traded the dress with tight black leggings and open-necked sweatshirt. She also tied her hair back. Her husband William, in the meantime, was clad in a blue checked shirt and grey cords. After the race, the two took part in a traditional Mi'kmaq smudging ceremony and sampling local culinary delicacies.
More Prince William News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie