Prince William Gives Kate Middleton Consolation Hug Post Dragon Boat Race Win
Prince William and Kate Middleton's friendly dragon boat race in Canada ended up with a consolation hug. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge showed there were no hard feelings after he beat her at the Prince Edward Island boat race on Monday, July 4 by sharing an affectionate embrace as they stepped back onto land.
Before the newlyweds went head to head in the afternoon race across Dalvay Lake, they joked about each other's chances of winning. Asked who was going to win, William told reporters "We are. Of course!" and Kate responded, "He'll be lucky." Still, the duchess seemed less certain as she approached her team and admitted, "Not sure about that. I'm feeling slightly nervous." William's team turned out to be the victor at the end of the race, coming in first by a third of a length.
After the two climbed ashore, Kate told attendee Hillary Thompson that "maybe next time" she'll win and jokingly tried to push her husband into the water. William himself joked, "There is no chivalry in sport," as he accepted the prize of a bottle of champagne from Canadian Olympic bobsled gold medalist Heather Moyse.
Kate began the day wearing a cream pencil dress by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen. For the boat race event, she traded the dress with tight black leggings and open-necked sweatshirt. She also tied her hair back. Her husband William, in the meantime, was clad in a blue checked shirt and grey cords. After the race, the two took part in a traditional Mi'kmaq smudging ceremony and sampling local culinary delicacies.
More Prince William News
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage