Topping Box Office, 'Transformers 3' Sets Biggest Gross of 4th of July Weekend
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" comes out unchallenged at box office in its first week. The action sci-fi movie rules the chart with $97.5 million on Independence Day weekend, posting the largest opening weekend of the year. Previously, the record was held by "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" ($90.2 million), which has just crossed $1 billion worldwide this weekend.
With such cume, the third "Transformers" movie also posts two other significant results domestically. One is the biggest Independence Day weekend, beating "Spider-Man 2" ($88.2 million), and the other is third-best July opening weekend, behind "The Dark Knight" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest".
"Transformers 3", which cost $195 million, is expected to finish the four-day holiday weekend with $116 million, making its six-day cumulative total to $181 million. Still, the latest installment of the alien-robot film franchise will not likely pass its predecessor "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" which collected $214.9 million in its first six days.
Other newcomers this week are not as successful as "Transformers 3". "Larry Crowne", which pairs Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts up, enters the chart at number 4 with $13.1 million, while Selena Gomez-starring "Monte Carlo" debuts at *number 5 with $7.4 million.
The other spots in the top five belong to "Cars 2" and "Bad Teacher". Losing the champion title, the animated movie becomes a runner-up this week with $26.2 million. As for the R-rated comedy starring Cameron Diaz, it drops one place to number three with $14.5 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for July 1-3:
- "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - $97.5 million
- "Cars 2" - $26.2 million
- "Bad Teacher" - $14.5 million
- "Larry Crowne" - $13.1 million
- "Super 8" - $7.8 million
- "Monte Carlo" - $7.4 million
- "Green Lantern" - $6.5 million
- "Mr. Popper's Penguins" - $5.4 million
- "Bridesmaids" - $3.6 million
- "Midnight in Paris" - $3.6 million
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media
- Evan Rachel Wood Blasts Media Over Comments About Amber Heard's Bisexuality
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo