Firing Back at Illegal Poker Accusations, Tobey Maguire Denies Wrongdoing
Tobey Maguire is pleading his innocence in response to a lawsuit over alleged illegal celebrity poker games. After being sued by a bankruptcy trustee for winning more than $300,000 in the Texas Hold 'Em matches in Los Angeles, the former "Spider-Man" star filed legal documents in which he denied any wrongdoing.
The court filings released on Thursday, June 30 revealed that the 36-year-old "unconditionally denies having engaged in any conduct whatsoever in violation of law and further categorically denies having knowingly or intentionally participated in any fraudulent scheme." While he admitted to being invited, he denied there was a "regular roster of players consisting of wealthy celebrities, entrepreneurs, attorneys and businessmen."
Tobey's attorney, Robert Barta, additionally stated that the "Brothers" actor didn't only win more than $300,000 in matches against convicted con man Bradley Ruderman, but also lost $168,500 to the hedge fund manager. If the actor is required to pay anything back, the amount that he is being sued for should be reduced, his attorney argued further.
Tobey is one of several celebrities getting sued by a bankruptcy trustee, which sought to recoup more than $4 million in Bradley's gambling losses, back in March. The trustee's lawsuits claim that the poker games were unlicensed and the actor and 21 other people, including actor-director Nick Cassavetes, have no right to keep their winnings.
- Suki Waterhouse Flashes Nipples in See-Through Dress During Chilly Beach Photo Shoot
- Anne Hathaway Controls a Monster in 'Colossal' Trailer
- Gregg Sulkin and Tyler Posey's Nude Photos Leaked by Ex Bella Thorne?
- Bella Hadid Bumps Into Ex The Weeknd During Concert at Madison Square Garden
- Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam Gets a Solo Movie as DC Splits 'Shazam'
- Amber Rose Claps Back at Haters Accusing Her of Being Rude to Sexual Assault Victim
- Did Charlie Sheen Just Threaten Jon Voight for Speaking at Donald Trump's Pre-Inagural Event?
- Kanye West Is Not Invited to Perform at Trump's Inauguration Because of This!