Newsweek's Editor Explains Controversial Diana Cover
Newsweek's cover of Princess Diana and Kate Middleton created controversy this week and prompted the editor to explain why they decided to go with the theme. Tina Brown, who wrote the article "Diana at 50. If She Were Here Now", said she thought the piece is "intriguing" in a way.
"I found it really interesting to imagine what she would be doing now," Brown said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe". Joe Scarborough then asked, "What's the response been?" to which she replied, "Well, it went absolutely viral actually in the last two days because the cover has created a huge amount of debate."
"Some people think it's kind of spooky and 'Should we have done it?' and others think it's very effective. I think it's a very intriguing package to show what she'd be like today. You know we aged her just slightly ...to me it's just sad, a saddening thing."
In the article, Brown believed that Diana would have dumped her boyfriend Dodi Fayed who died in the same 1997 car crash. She would be living in New York and have been married two more times. But she would have maintained a good relationship with Prince Charles and struck a great relationship with Kate's mother.
Appearance-wise, "There is no doubt she would have kept her chin taut with strategic Botox shots and her bare arms buff from the gym." Her choice of fashion would be J Crew and Galliano. "I wanted to make her a time traveler," Brown said.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story