Newsweek's Editor Explains Controversial Diana Cover
Newsweek's cover of Princess Diana and Kate Middleton created controversy this week and prompted the editor to explain why they decided to go with the theme. Tina Brown, who wrote the article "Diana at 50. If She Were Here Now", said she thought the piece is "intriguing" in a way.
"I found it really interesting to imagine what she would be doing now," Brown said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe". Joe Scarborough then asked, "What's the response been?" to which she replied, "Well, it went absolutely viral actually in the last two days because the cover has created a huge amount of debate."
"Some people think it's kind of spooky and 'Should we have done it?' and others think it's very effective. I think it's a very intriguing package to show what she'd be like today. You know we aged her just slightly ...to me it's just sad, a saddening thing."
In the article, Brown believed that Diana would have dumped her boyfriend Dodi Fayed who died in the same 1997 car crash. She would be living in New York and have been married two more times. But she would have maintained a good relationship with Prince Charles and struck a great relationship with Kate's mother.
Appearance-wise, "There is no doubt she would have kept her chin taut with strategic Botox shots and her bare arms buff from the gym." Her choice of fashion would be J Crew and Galliano. "I wanted to make her a time traveler," Brown said.
- 'Toy Story': Sad Backstory of Andy's Father Debunked by Writer
- BET Awards 2017: Beyonce Dominates Full Winner List
- Report: Prince Harry Plans to Give Meghan Markle Engagement Ring Made From Princess Diana's Bracelet
- Is Nicki Minaj on Safaree Samuels' Side in Meek Mill Beef?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 3.06 Sneak Peeks: 'More People Will Die'
- BET Awards 2017: Watch Performances by Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Migos, Chris Brown and More
- Disgusted Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Scott Disick Is 'Using' Bella Thorne
- Keith Urban Celebrates 11th Anniversary With Nicole Kidman: 'You Still Feel Like My Girlfriend'