Adam Levine on 'Whataya Want From Me' Comment: I Am Not Sorry
Adam Levine was quick to respond to controversy surrounding his comment over "The Voice" contestant Nakia's rendition of Adam Lambert's "Whataya Want From Me". He was blasted for making assumption that the aspiring artist might be singing the song better than the original singer.
"I'm not familiar with that song, but you just forced me to like it," said the frontman of Maroon 5 after Nakia's performance on the June 21 episode of the singing competition. "I'm pretty sure, although I've never heard that song before...that you probably sang it better than the person that sang it originally. So, good job."
One day later, Levine took to Twitter share his insight regarding the issue. He insisted he just told the truth, and was not sorry for that. "I had honestly never heard that song before. I thought that @nakia made me like a song that would have otherwise fallen flat. I'm NOT sorry," Levine wrote.
Responses to his posting varied; some understood, but the others kept plastering him with angry tweets. Having no intention to prolong the controversy, he later followed it up with another message, "No disrespect intended for @adamlambert ...I honesty had never heard the song before. I'm not one to take cheap shots like that."
Nakia also came to Levine's defense, writing "Before I go to bed: Fans, pls don't hate on @adamlevine for his comments about WWFM. He's a great guy & wasn't trying sabotage anything. xo." He added a few hours later, "@adamlevine thanks for the chat earlier, Adam and thank you for all the support & encouragement throughout this whole experience."
Unlike his furious fans, Lambert himself was cool with the comment. He even tweeted support for Nakia, "Yeah Nakia! Saaaang boy!! Great performance. I think Adam might know who I am after this next album. Get ready for me Levine. Hahah." In another post, he emphasized, "Im def a Maroon 5 fan. Fans: there is NO reason to be angry. Thanks for being protective but it's all good. :)."
Nakia' rendition of "Whataya Want From Me":
More Maroon 5 News
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake
- Ray J Teams Up With Chris Brown for Kanye West 'Famous' Response
- Here's Why Ryan Reynolds Disagrees With Tim Miller's 'More Stylish' Version of 'Deadpool 2'
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen