Adam Levine on 'Whataya Want From Me' Comment: I Am Not Sorry
Adam Levine was quick to respond to controversy surrounding his comment over "The Voice" contestant Nakia's rendition of Adam Lambert's "Whataya Want From Me". He was blasted for making assumption that the aspiring artist might be singing the song better than the original singer.
"I'm not familiar with that song, but you just forced me to like it," said the frontman of Maroon 5 after Nakia's performance on the June 21 episode of the singing competition. "I'm pretty sure, although I've never heard that song before...that you probably sang it better than the person that sang it originally. So, good job."
One day later, Levine took to Twitter share his insight regarding the issue. He insisted he just told the truth, and was not sorry for that. "I had honestly never heard that song before. I thought that @nakia made me like a song that would have otherwise fallen flat. I'm NOT sorry," Levine wrote.
Responses to his posting varied; some understood, but the others kept plastering him with angry tweets. Having no intention to prolong the controversy, he later followed it up with another message, "No disrespect intended for @adamlambert ...I honesty had never heard the song before. I'm not one to take cheap shots like that."
Nakia also came to Levine's defense, writing "Before I go to bed: Fans, pls don't hate on @adamlevine for his comments about WWFM. He's a great guy & wasn't trying sabotage anything. xo." He added a few hours later, "@adamlevine thanks for the chat earlier, Adam and thank you for all the support & encouragement throughout this whole experience."
Unlike his furious fans, Lambert himself was cool with the comment. He even tweeted support for Nakia, "Yeah Nakia! Saaaang boy!! Great performance. I think Adam might know who I am after this next album. Get ready for me Levine. Hahah." In another post, he emphasized, "Im def a Maroon 5 fan. Fans: there is NO reason to be angry. Thanks for being protective but it's all good. :)."
Nakia' rendition of "Whataya Want From Me":
More Maroon 5 News
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars