Hip-Hop Mogul Linked to Tupac Shakur Shooting Arrested on Drug Charges
Hip-Hop music executive James Rosemond has been taken into custody by U.S. Marshalls and DEA agents in New York City. Though he was recently accused of orchestrating the 1994 shooting of Tupac Shakur, the co-founder of Czar Entertainment was apprehended on charges unrelated to the accusations made by convicted felon Dexter Isaac.
The 46-year-old was arrested Tuesday, June 21 on suspicion of running a cocaine trafficking ring that operated on both the West and East coasts. Federal authorities had been searching for the music mogul, who has worked with recording artists like The Game, since warrants were issued for his arrest on May 17.
James' manhunt came to an end after a foot chase in Manhattan. The New York Post reported that the man who is also known as Jimmy Henchman spotted federal agents at around noon when he walked out of the W Hotel in Union Square. In his attempt to evade them, he walked north and ran for several blocks before being tackled at 21st Street and Park Avenue.
James has appeared in Brooklyn federal court on Tuesday and was remanded in custody without bail. According to Reuters, the onetime music manager did not enter a plea. His lawyer Jeffery Lichtman, meanwhile, told MTV News, "These charges obviously aren't surprising, we've been anticipating them for years now."
"But they're built on the backs of people that have lied and cheated, have been threatened, have been bribed by the government," Jeffery added. "Anything to get Jimmy Rosemond, but all of this is going to be exposed. We've been waiting a long time for our day in court - we finally have it."
Last week, convicted felon Dexter Issac confessed to have shot and robbed late rapper Tupac in 1994. Coming clean about the incident on the eve of what should be the rapper's 40th birthday, he claimed he was paid $2,500 dollars by James to rob the rapper outside a studio in Manhattan. James' attorney has since spoken out against the allegations.
More Tupac Shakur News
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift