Miss California Alyssa Campanella Crowned Miss USA 2011
A new Miss USA has been named at the annual beauty pageant. Alyssa Campanella, a 21-year-old auburn-haired beauty representing California, outshone 50 other women to take the coveted title in a ceremony taking place at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas on Sunday night, June 19.
The full-time model won over the judges with her strut in a blue bikini with white polka dots and in a dark turquoise evening gown. When asked about legalizing marijuana during the final Q&A phase, she said, "I understand that medical marijuana is very important for those who need it legally. It's abused, but that's the only reason I'd be against it. I'm not sure legalizing it would have much of an effect on the drug war."
In the 60th anniversary of the Donald Trump-owned pageant, Alyssa was crowned by incumbent Miss USA, Rima Fakih, who was the first Arab-American to hold the title. She will represent the United States at Miss Universe pageant on September 12 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. If she can't fulfill her duties, she will be replaced by Miss Tennessee, Ashley Elizabeth Durham, who came in second.
The 2011 Miss USA Pageant was hosted by Andy Cohen and Giuliana Rancic. Judges included "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" star Caroline Manzo, rapper Lil Jon and Dallas Mavericks center Tyson Chandler. The third runner-up went to Miss Texas Ana Rodriguez, while Miss Alabama Madeline Mitchell was named the second runner-up.
Alyssa Campanella at 2011 Miss USA Press Conference:
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics