'Green Lantern' Lights Up Father's Day Box Office
"Green Lantern" lands on the first position of this weekend's box office. Grossing about $52.7 million, this movie makes the lowest opening for a superhero film this summer, compared to "X-Men: First Class" ($55.1 million) and "Thor" ($65.7 million).
Nevertheless, "Green Lantern" still can defeat last week's champ "Super 8", which secures the second place of the chart. This sci-fi flick, which sees J.J. Abrams serving behind the lens, takes in an estimated $21.3 million, or falls only approximately 40.1% from last week's cume.
Debuting on number three is "Mr. Popper's Penguins". The comedy movie, in which Jim Carrey stars as the Mr. Popper, receives A- from CinemaScore. Accordingly, the film grosses approximately 18.2 million.
Meanwhile, "X-Men: First Class" claims the fourth place by raking about $11.5 million. The "X-Men" trilogy prequel drops an estimated 52.3%, or draws a total gross of approximately $119.9 million in its third week. Trailing behind the Matthew Vaughn-directed film is "The Hangover Part II", which grosses about $9.6 million, landing on number five of the chart.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 17-19:
- "Green Lantern" - $52.7 million
- "Super 8" - $21.3 million
- "Mr. Popper's Penguins" - $18.2 million
- "X-Men: First Class" - $11.5 million
- "The Hangover Part II" - $9.6 million
- "Kung Fu Panda 2" - $8.7 million
- "Bridesmaids" - $7.5 million
- "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" - $6.2 million
- "Midnight in Paris" - $5.2 million
- "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer" - $2.2 million
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son