311's Nick Hexum Recalls How He Delivered Baby Daughter Himself
311 frontman Nick Hexum knows how to deliver a baby at home. While he and wife Nikki have planned to deliver their second child at home with the help of a midwife, the vocalist/rhythm guitarist for the rock band was forced to perform the delivery himself when his wife suddenly went into labor on May 1.
The 41-year-old rocker shared the birth story of his second daughter, Maxine, to PEOPLE. "After Max's head popped out, the delivery stalled for the next couple of contractions. The baby's head was blue and the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck," he recalled. "I was worried the cord was choking her, keeping blood from getting to her brain."
"I knew from observing and listening the first time around that sometimes the baby's shoulder would get caught and they would have to reach in there and break its collar bone to free her. I reached my fingers in there and felt the shoulders and rotated the baby back and forth," he continued telling the story.
After the baby "slid out smoothly" with the next contraction, Nick said he "jiggled her around until I heard a 'wahhh!' " He remembered, "It was an amazing moment." The midwife, who arrived until 10 minutes later, cut the umbilical cord. Nick, in the end, said, "Everything was fine! We never went to the hospital. We just sat in bed laughing and crying tears of joy about what a crazy experience it was."
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'
- Britney Spears Sucks Helium and Hilariously Sings a Taylor Swift Hit
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune