'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood Hospitalized After Alleged Suicide Attempt
Troubled "Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood has been admitted to a hospital in Indiana. The 21-year-old reality star was taken to and is being evaluated at St. John's Hospital after she reportedly attempted to commit suicide on Tuesday morning, June 14.
A police statement, obtained via Radar Online, read, "Late this morning (11:34 A.M.), Anderson Police responded to a call at a residence in the 1300 block of Pleasant Meadow Drive." It went on to note, "According to the caller, Portwood was depressed and threatening to end her life. The victim, who did not appear to be injured, was transported to a local medical facility for further evaluation."
MTV has since released a statement to the press regarding reports of Amber's hospitalization. "Our understanding is that Amber has been admitted to a local hospital," read the statement, "but we have not been able to confirm the accuracy of any reports being circulated and are waiting for further details. Our thoughts are with her and we hope to hear more soon."
Amber was rushed to a hospital after being found unconscious in her home on the couch from an apparent overdose with a rope around her neck, Star Magazine first reported. It was said that her on-off boyfriend and baby daddy, Gary Shirley, asked his mother to check on her since he was concerned about her state of mind after they talked on the phone.
Speaking of Amber's hospitalization, her brother Shawn Portwood put the blame on Gary. To E! News, he said, "Amber told us she had a panic attack last night after Gary began calling her names, telling her he was going to take Leah away from her. He's verbally abusive to her. Our whole family thinks he's the reason behind all of Amber's problems. He's constantly threatening to take Leah away."
Shawn confirmed it was Gary's mother who called the cops, but added that no one told his family that Amber was taken to the hospital. He also believed that Gary was the one who told Star Magazine that his sister had tried to slip a noose around her neck. He went on to say, "Based on their actions, I really think Gary and his family are trying to keep Leah away from Amber."
Amber has had a rough few months. Back in December 2010, she was charged with two felony counts of domestic battery, one felony count of neglect of a dependent and one misdemeanor count of domestic battery after striking Gary in front of their 2-year-old daughter, Leah. Days before her hospitalization she was given two years probation after pleading guilty to two felony domestic battery charges.
- Charlize Theron Gets Called Out for Letting Her Son Dress Like Elsa of 'Frozen'
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Get Inked Together. Do They Have Matching Tattoos Now?
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears Recreates 'Baby One More Time' Video, Says She'll Never Marry Again
- Mackenzie Davis on Domino Casting Rumor for 'Deadpool 2': 'I Wish I Did!'
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Totally Naked in Hot Tub During Vacation in Greece
- Kylie Jenner Offers Fan Feeling Her Boobs to Prove They're Real
- Britney Spears, Elton John, Calvin Harris to Headline 10th Apple Music Festival in London
- Rob Kardashian Criticizes His Family for Not 'Welcoming' of His Relationship With Blac Chyna