Rebecca Black's 'Friday' Video Free to Be Watched Again After Briefly Rented
Rebecca Black might have tried to boost the sales of her viral hit single "Friday" by switching its music video from a free-to-watch content to a pay-to-play material. On Monday, June 13, the clip was blocked and made available to watch only for those who were willing to pay $2.99.
However, the marketing strategy didn't seem to work out. It was short lived reportedly because the responses have been very negative. The video, which has been viewed by more than 165 million people, has been switched back to become a free content again later in the day.
There was no explanation from Rebecca's camp about the sudden change. People at YouTube reportedly also refused to make an official statement regarding the issue, explaining that they don't comment on the status of individual videos.
Rebecca Black has become a global mockery target after releasing the Auto-Tuned single last March. Despite the negative responses, she got support from the likes of Lady GaGa, Simon Cowell, Ryan Seacrest, Nicole Richie and Joel Madden.
Most recently, she appeared as a cameo in Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" music video. She's the neighbor who gives Katy's nerdy alter ego, Kathy Beth Terry, a "cool" makeover and invited Katy to a party which is crowded by Kevin McHale, Darren Criss, Kenny G and Hanson.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance