NBC Affiliate Bans 'Playboy Club' Due to Mission Inconsistency Fear
For having a provocative title, "The Playboy Club" has been banned in Salt Lake City. KSL, which is NBC affiliate in Utah, has declared that it won't air the new drama series because it worries that the show does not fit with its mission.
"The Playboy brand is known internationally," Mark Willes, KSL President and CEO, said in a statement. "Everyone is clear what it stands for. We want to be sure everyone is clear what the KSL brand stands for, which is completely inconsistent with the Playboy brand."
Although the content may not be as provocative as the title suggests, Willes considers it gives enough reason for KSL to ban the show. " 'The Playboy Club' is different in our view in at least one important way, however: It promotes a brand that we just cannot support," he added. "We would be helping to build a brand that stands for pornography. For us, that's just untenable."
NBC has since expressed its disappointment with KSL's decision. However, the network stated, "We are confident that the show will find another home in the Salt Lake City market." KSL additionally said it works with the peacock to find a way to show the program on another channel in the city market.
Set in 1960s Chicago, "The Playboy Club" revolves around Eddie Cibrian's Nick Dalton, an attorney who is a "keyholder" at the club, and a group of women working as Playboy bunnies in New York club. It is set to air Mondays at 10 P.M. starting in September.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic