'Dark Knight Rises' May Skip 2011 Comic Con
Comic Con is probably losing its glittering power. While Hollywood studios have made used of it as a marketing platform for their movies, words have now gone viral that many of the studios, including Warner Bros. Pictures, will skip 2011 San Diego Comic Con. This leads to a speculation that "The Dark Knight Rises" may be absent from the summer event.
The New York Times reports that Walt Disney, DreamWorks, Weinstein Company also bow out of this year's convention. Even Marvel Entertainment, whose 2010's "The Avengers" panel was crowded, still has not made a decision regarding whether or not to do a big panel this year.
Apparently, those studios have been under the impression that the convention sometimes could not help them in the marketplace. Michael Moses, co-president of marketing for Universal Pictures, stated, "It's a red-letter opportunity, but you shouldn't go simply because it sits there on the calendar. You have to be absolutely certain you have goods ready that can really make a difference for your film."
"Sucker Punch" is an example of the case that makes the studios worry. While the movie made a good excitement in July 2010, it failed to bring the same enthusiasm in March release. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is another model to portray the worrisome marketing problem. The action comedy, which stole the spotlight during the convention in 2010, only grossed $32 million in ticket sales.
However, there is still a hope to watch presentations for other Hollywood big films. Universal plans to bring "Cowboys and Aliens" to the event and hold the world premiere there. Paramount's "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" will possibly come to the convention as well.
Other studios including 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures and Summit Entertainment are going to stage a panel as well. Thus, fans of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", "The Amazing Spider-Man", "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part I", and some other movies still have a reason to attend the event, which is due July 21-24.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says