'Dark Knight Rises' May Skip 2011 Comic Con
Comic Con is probably losing its glittering power. While Hollywood studios have made used of it as a marketing platform for their movies, words have now gone viral that many of the studios, including Warner Bros. Pictures, will skip 2011 San Diego Comic Con. This leads to a speculation that "The Dark Knight Rises" may be absent from the summer event.
The New York Times reports that Walt Disney, DreamWorks, Weinstein Company also bow out of this year's convention. Even Marvel Entertainment, whose 2010's "The Avengers" panel was crowded, still has not made a decision regarding whether or not to do a big panel this year.
Apparently, those studios have been under the impression that the convention sometimes could not help them in the marketplace. Michael Moses, co-president of marketing for Universal Pictures, stated, "It's a red-letter opportunity, but you shouldn't go simply because it sits there on the calendar. You have to be absolutely certain you have goods ready that can really make a difference for your film."
"Sucker Punch" is an example of the case that makes the studios worry. While the movie made a good excitement in July 2010, it failed to bring the same enthusiasm in March release. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is another model to portray the worrisome marketing problem. The action comedy, which stole the spotlight during the convention in 2010, only grossed $32 million in ticket sales.
However, there is still a hope to watch presentations for other Hollywood big films. Universal plans to bring "Cowboys and Aliens" to the event and hold the world premiere there. Paramount's "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" will possibly come to the convention as well.
Other studios including 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures and Summit Entertainment are going to stage a panel as well. Thus, fans of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", "The Amazing Spider-Man", "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part I", and some other movies still have a reason to attend the event, which is due July 21-24.
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4
- Drake's 'Views' Gets Quadruple-Platinum Certification
- Jimmy Kimmel Selected to Host 2017 Academy Awards
- Back on? Ryan Seacrest Spotted on Romantic Bike Ride With Ex Shayna Taylor in Venice
- Swoon Alert! Michelle Williams and James Van Der Beek Have 'Dawson's Creek' Mini Reunion
- Taylor Lautner Caught Making Out With His 'Scream Queens' Co-Star Billie Lourd
- Liam Payne's Facebook Is Hacked With Porn Images of Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry
- Optimus Prime Wants to Kill Bumblebee in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' First Teaser Trailer