'Spider-Man' Producer Laura Ziskin Dies After Long Battle With Cancer
The "Spider-Man" movie franchise has lost one of its prominent figures because of breast cancer. On Sunday, June 12, producer Laura Ziskin passed away at her home in Santa Monica, California. The 61-year-old, who is one of the most successful female movie producers in history, has fought a seven-year battle with the disease.
The producer of Julia Roberts-starring "Pretty Woman" was diagnosed with stage 3 of breast cancer in 2004. She underwent a mastectomy, chemotherapy, a stem-cell transplant and radiation, but the cancer returned in 2009 and at the time, it has spread to her liver and bones. A year prior in 2008, she co-founded nonprofit organization Stand Up 2 Cancer with Katie Couric among others.
Laura was working on the "Spider-Man" reboot, "The Amazing Spider-Man", at the time of her passing. She is survived by her Oscar-winning screenwriter husband Alvin Sargent, and a daughter from her first marriage, Julia. Sony Pictures said a memorial would be planned. Her family requests that donations be made to Stand Up 2 Cancer through its website, standup2cancer.org.
Laura has either produced or executive produced such notable pictures as "What About Bob?", "To Die For" and "As Good As it Gets". In 2002, she became the first woman to produce the Academy Awards telecast alone. Three years later in 2005, she was honored with the Producers Guild of America's David O. Selznick life achievement kudo. Earlier this year, she was presented with the PGA's Visionary Award.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist