Video: J. Cole Salutes Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. at Bonnaroo
J. Cole was one of the artists who was billed to perform on the first day of 2011 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. The Roc Nation rapper paid homage to his two idols Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. during his set on Thursday, June 9.
"They've got all these incredible rock bands out here that we respect and we love," Cole said. "They get to cover they favorite artist's songs; why the f*** can't we do that?" He then covered the late rapper's 1996 single "I Ain't Mad at Cha", and shouted to the crowd, "Ya'll make some noise for motherf***ing Tupac Shakur."
Cole's tribute to Notorious B.I.G. came when he played "Higher", a track lifted from his "Friday Night Lights" mixtape. The song features The Isley Brothers' "Between the Sheets" which was sampled by Biggie on his classic 1994 hit "Big Poppa".
Bonnaroo Music Festival will run until Sunday, June 12. Musical guests include Cold War Kids, Robyn, Amos Lee, Eminem, The Black Keys, Scissor Sisters, and Mumford & Sons. Detailed info about the other performers can be found on the Bonnaroo official site.
"I Ain't Mad at Cha":
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed