Colin Firth to Be Honored With a CBE by the Queen of England
Colin Firth is to gain more recognition for his work in drama. After winning Best Actor at this year's Academy Awards, the actor praised for his role as King George VI in "The King's Speech" will be named a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) in Queen Elizabeth II's annual Birthday Honors List to be published on Saturday, June 11.
The 50-year-old actor, who played Mr. Darcy in the 1995 TV adaptation of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice", reportedly impressed the monarch with his portrayal of her father's battle to overcome a speech impediment. Aside from his acclaimed performance in "King's Speech", he also starred in various movies, including "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Mamma Mia!" and "A Single Man".
Colin is one from hundreds of others to be honored by the monarch for their work. Singer and songwriter Bryan Ferry will also receive a CBE, while golfer Lee Westwood, cricket captain Andrew Strauss, artist Sam Taylor-Wood and jazz singer Claire Martin will each receive an OBE (Officers of the Order of the British Empire).
The Queen of England bestows honors twice a year, at New Year's Eve and on her official birthday. While she will turn 85 on April 21, she has traditionally celebrated an "official" birthday on June 11. Recipients of the honors are selected by committees of civil servants from nominations made by the government and the public, but the Queen must give her formal approval before they are awarded.
More Colin Firth News
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed