Colin Firth to Be Honored With a CBE by the Queen of England
Colin Firth is to gain more recognition for his work in drama. After winning Best Actor at this year's Academy Awards, the actor praised for his role as King George VI in "The King's Speech" will be named a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) in Queen Elizabeth II's annual Birthday Honors List to be published on Saturday, June 11.
The 50-year-old actor, who played Mr. Darcy in the 1995 TV adaptation of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice", reportedly impressed the monarch with his portrayal of her father's battle to overcome a speech impediment. Aside from his acclaimed performance in "King's Speech", he also starred in various movies, including "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Mamma Mia!" and "A Single Man".
Colin is one from hundreds of others to be honored by the monarch for their work. Singer and songwriter Bryan Ferry will also receive a CBE, while golfer Lee Westwood, cricket captain Andrew Strauss, artist Sam Taylor-Wood and jazz singer Claire Martin will each receive an OBE (Officers of the Order of the British Empire).
The Queen of England bestows honors twice a year, at New Year's Eve and on her official birthday. While she will turn 85 on April 21, she has traditionally celebrated an "official" birthday on June 11. Recipients of the honors are selected by committees of civil servants from nominations made by the government and the public, but the Queen must give her formal approval before they are awarded.
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters
- Halsey Slams Quavo, Calls Iggy Azalea a 'F**king Moron'
- Choa Announces She's Leaving AOA, Insists It's Not Because She's Pregnant
- Will Jared Leto Reprise The Joker Role for Harley Quinn Spin-Off?
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Posts Lowest Opening in the Franchise
- Ashton Kutcher Claims He Had Hooking Up Agreement With Mila Kunis
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?