Alec Baldwin Could Run for Mayor of New York City
There is a possibility that Alec Baldwin might run for mayor of New York City. The "30 Rock" star's name came out as another possible high-profile Democratic candidate for the 2013 race now that congressman Anthony Weiner may pull out of the race following his Twitter photo scandal, "Weinergate".
The 53-year-old actor, who has said that 2012 will be his last year on "30 Rock", reportedly has long mulled the possibility of running for political office. His friend told iPad newspaper The Daily, "Alec said, 'Hey, maybe this changes the race. The dynamics have shifted.' The Democrats need a high-profile candidate, and Alec can fill that bill."
Die-hard Democrat Alec himself took to his Twitter account to react to the rumors. On Wednesday (June 8) afternoon hours after the reports surfaced, he tweeted, "It's a long way till November of 2013." His representative Matthew Hiltzik also didn't rule out the possibility. He simply told The Hollywood Reporter, "I wouldn't rule it out."
Back in January, Alec opened up about his dream of running for the office. To CNN's Eliot Spitzer, he admitted, "Yes, it's something that I am very, very interested in. People would say to me all the time, 'Why would you want to do that?' And sometimes I don't want to do it because to leave what I am doing now would be extremely painful."
Meanwhile, Anthony admitted last Monday, June 6 he had been lying about being hacked. He also confessed it was him who sent explicit photographs of himself to women online. At a New York news conference, he said, "I haven't told the truth. And I've done things I deeply regret. I've brought pain to people I care about the most and people who believe in me. And for that, I'm deeply sorry."
The next day on Tuesday, June 7, Alec weighed in on the controversy. In a series of tweets, he wrote, "There does seem to be a different standard for men and women. Like I once heard, 'If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.' Or different standards for gays and straights. Another quote, 'if you could get AIDS gripping a golf club, we'd have a cure by now.' Wiener should not resign."
More Alec Baldwin News
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor