Alec Baldwin Could Run for Mayor of New York City
There is a possibility that Alec Baldwin might run for mayor of New York City. The "30 Rock" star's name came out as another possible high-profile Democratic candidate for the 2013 race now that congressman Anthony Weiner may pull out of the race following his Twitter photo scandal, "Weinergate".
The 53-year-old actor, who has said that 2012 will be his last year on "30 Rock", reportedly has long mulled the possibility of running for political office. His friend told iPad newspaper The Daily, "Alec said, 'Hey, maybe this changes the race. The dynamics have shifted.' The Democrats need a high-profile candidate, and Alec can fill that bill."
Die-hard Democrat Alec himself took to his Twitter account to react to the rumors. On Wednesday (June 8) afternoon hours after the reports surfaced, he tweeted, "It's a long way till November of 2013." His representative Matthew Hiltzik also didn't rule out the possibility. He simply told The Hollywood Reporter, "I wouldn't rule it out."
Back in January, Alec opened up about his dream of running for the office. To CNN's Eliot Spitzer, he admitted, "Yes, it's something that I am very, very interested in. People would say to me all the time, 'Why would you want to do that?' And sometimes I don't want to do it because to leave what I am doing now would be extremely painful."
Meanwhile, Anthony admitted last Monday, June 6 he had been lying about being hacked. He also confessed it was him who sent explicit photographs of himself to women online. At a New York news conference, he said, "I haven't told the truth. And I've done things I deeply regret. I've brought pain to people I care about the most and people who believe in me. And for that, I'm deeply sorry."
The next day on Tuesday, June 7, Alec weighed in on the controversy. In a series of tweets, he wrote, "There does seem to be a different standard for men and women. Like I once heard, 'If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.' Or different standards for gays and straights. Another quote, 'if you could get AIDS gripping a golf club, we'd have a cure by now.' Wiener should not resign."
More Alec Baldwin News
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri