Turning Himself In, Ja Rule Begins Two-Year Prison Sentence
Ja Rule has turned himself in to begin his two-year prison sentence on gun charges. On Wednesday afternoon, June 8, the "Always on Time" hitmaker appeared in a Manhattan courtroom to be formally sentenced to two years in prison following his guilty plea last December to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.
The 35-year-old rapper came to the New York court wearing a gray sweat suit and sunglasses. He was accompanied by wife Aisha Atkins, associate Ron Robinson, lawyer Stacey Richman and other family members. As he stood before a magistrate on the 13th floor of the criminal courts building, he sported a somber look on his face.
After he was cuffed, Rule shouted to his family who sat in the back of the courtroom, "See y'all". When they replied, "We love you," he called out, "I love y'all too." His executive producer, Seven, told TMZ that the last thing he said to his wife and other family members was, "Real life is a fantasy, f**k fame ... I'm ready for this to get over with. I am focused."
Rule is slapped with the 2-year prison sentence stemming from his July 2007 arrest in New York City. He was busted having an unregistered, .40 caliber handgun hidden in the backseat of his Maybach as he left a concert at the Upper West Side's Beacon Theatre. He pleaded guilty in December to attempted criminal possession of the weapon.
The MC, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, is likely to spend up a week or two at New York's Rikers Island jail before being transferred to a different correctional facility upstate. With good behavior, he could be out in 18 to 20 months, said his lawyer.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones