Turning Himself In, Ja Rule Begins Two-Year Prison Sentence
Ja Rule has turned himself in to begin his two-year prison sentence on gun charges. On Wednesday afternoon, June 8, the "Always on Time" hitmaker appeared in a Manhattan courtroom to be formally sentenced to two years in prison following his guilty plea last December to attempted criminal possession of a weapon.
The 35-year-old rapper came to the New York court wearing a gray sweat suit and sunglasses. He was accompanied by wife Aisha Atkins, associate Ron Robinson, lawyer Stacey Richman and other family members. As he stood before a magistrate on the 13th floor of the criminal courts building, he sported a somber look on his face.
After he was cuffed, Rule shouted to his family who sat in the back of the courtroom, "See y'all". When they replied, "We love you," he called out, "I love y'all too." His executive producer, Seven, told TMZ that the last thing he said to his wife and other family members was, "Real life is a fantasy, f**k fame ... I'm ready for this to get over with. I am focused."
Rule is slapped with the 2-year prison sentence stemming from his July 2007 arrest in New York City. He was busted having an unregistered, .40 caliber handgun hidden in the backseat of his Maybach as he left a concert at the Upper West Side's Beacon Theatre. He pleaded guilty in December to attempted criminal possession of the weapon.
The MC, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, is likely to spend up a week or two at New York's Rikers Island jail before being transferred to a different correctional facility upstate. With good behavior, he could be out in 18 to 20 months, said his lawyer.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences