Matt Damon Never Thought His Father Has to Battle Cancer
Matt Damon has opened up about his father's battle against multiple myeloma. On Wednesday night, June 1, the "True Grit" actor attended a fundraiser for Massachusetts General Hospital's Cancer Care Center, and personally thanked the doctors and nurses who have taken care of his old man.
At the event held at the Westin Hotel in Boston, the 40-year-old said, "My family is so grateful for the care you've given us." He added, "It's deeply humbling to see how many people here are committing their lives to helping others. We've lost some close personal friends to cancer in recent years, but I never thought it would happen to my dad, the marathon runner...It sucked."
Earlier in the evening, Matt's father Kent made a joke about the actor's success in Hollywood. "We try not to take this celebrity deal too seriously," he told the crowd before recalling his reaction upon reading about Matt's Academy Award nominations for "Good Will Hunting" in the newspaper back in 1997.
The 68-year-old shared, "There was a picture of Robert Duvall, Peter Fonda, and Dustin Hoffman - then there was a picture of my 27-year-old son. He didn't belong there with all these seasoned actors!" On a more serious note, he has nothing but praises for Matt. "He's all you could ever for ask for in a son. It's been a wonderful ride being his dad," he said.
Matt attended the fundraiser with his father Kent, his wife Luciana, his stepmother Celeste, and his co-star in "The Bourne Identity", Chris Cooper. People Magazine additionally noted that Kent's rare blood disease is currently in remission.
More Matt Damon News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story