Matt Damon Never Thought His Father Has to Battle Cancer
Matt Damon has opened up about his father's battle against multiple myeloma. On Wednesday night, June 1, the "True Grit" actor attended a fundraiser for Massachusetts General Hospital's Cancer Care Center, and personally thanked the doctors and nurses who have taken care of his old man.
At the event held at the Westin Hotel in Boston, the 40-year-old said, "My family is so grateful for the care you've given us." He added, "It's deeply humbling to see how many people here are committing their lives to helping others. We've lost some close personal friends to cancer in recent years, but I never thought it would happen to my dad, the marathon runner...It sucked."
Earlier in the evening, Matt's father Kent made a joke about the actor's success in Hollywood. "We try not to take this celebrity deal too seriously," he told the crowd before recalling his reaction upon reading about Matt's Academy Award nominations for "Good Will Hunting" in the newspaper back in 1997.
The 68-year-old shared, "There was a picture of Robert Duvall, Peter Fonda, and Dustin Hoffman - then there was a picture of my 27-year-old son. He didn't belong there with all these seasoned actors!" On a more serious note, he has nothing but praises for Matt. "He's all you could ever for ask for in a son. It's been a wonderful ride being his dad," he said.
Matt attended the fundraiser with his father Kent, his wife Luciana, his stepmother Celeste, and his co-star in "The Bourne Identity", Chris Cooper. People Magazine additionally noted that Kent's rare blood disease is currently in remission.
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign