August 28, 2016  

Rihanna Defends Violent 'Man Down' Music Video After PTC Attack

June 2, 2011 (1:40 am) GMT
The 'Man Down' singer re-tweets a bunch of her fans' messages to show that the controversial music video has inspired many people.

In response to the complaint made by Parents Television Council due to the murder scene of her recently-premiered "Man Down" music video, Rihanna took to Twitter on June 1 to defend herself. In most of her recent tweets, she mentioned that the clip is meant to deliver positive message and not the other way around.

RiRi didn't directly mention the PTC complaint, but she repeatedly re-tweeted her fans' messages which mentioned that they were inspired by the music video. One of them read, "Your video means so much to me ! gives me confidence and hope to be carfeul and not mistake Bull**** for love." Another read, "ManDown Is Powerful!! Amazing Song, Brilliant Message."

Earlier in the day, she wrote, "Young girls/women all over the world...we are a lot of things! We're strong innocent fun flirtatious vulnerable, and sometimes our innocence can cause us to be naive! We always think it could NEVER be us, but in reality, it can happen to ANY of us! So ladies be careful and #listentoyomama! I love you and I care!"

Directed by Anthony Mandler and filmed in Jamaica last April, the video features RiRi as an island carefree girl who turns into a killer after becoming the victim of a sexual assault. Instead of seeking help and reporting the assault to the authority, she takes the matter into her own hands by shooting him down in a crowded train station.

In a press release, Melissa Henson director of communications and public education for the PTC said, "Rihanna's personal story and status as a celebrity superstar provided a golden opportunity for the singer to send an important message to female victims of rape and domestic violence."

Before the video premiere, RiRi mentioned the video has a "very strong underlying message 4 girls" to stay safe, but Melissa argued the visualization could mislead them. "Instead of telling victims they should seek help, Rihanna released a music video that gives retaliation in the form of premeditated murder the imprimatur of acceptability," she said.

In line with the PTC statement, Paul Porter of Enough Is Enough Campaign and a former voice of BET said, "If shot a woman in his new video and BET premiered it, the world would stop. Rihanna should not get a pass and BET should know better. The video is far from broadcast worthy."

More Rihanna News

TODAY'S HEADLINES

  1. Beyonce Is Performing at the 2016 MTV VMAs, MTV Confirms
  2. Britney Spears Reveals Her Desire to Collaborate With Ex Justin Timberlake
  3. Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
  4. Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
  5. Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
  6. Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
  7. Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?
  8. Rihanna to Open 2016 MTV Video Music Awards