Lady GaGa Breaks Record by Officially Selling 1.1 Million Copies of 'Born This Way'
The official sales number of Lady GaGa's new album "Born This Way" is in, and it's revealed that the May 23 studio release has sold around 1,108,000 copies in its opening week. The huge number actually has been predicted by music experts when they heard that the CD was sold only for 0.99 cents on Amazon last week.
With such a big number, the Mother Monster has broken record as an artist with the highest sales week since 50 Cent sold 1,141,000 copies of his album "The Massacre" in 2005. The SoundScan-era record week, however, is still firmly held by NSYNC's 2000 "No Strings Attached" (2,416,000).
GaGa joins four other solo female acts to ever sell more than a million albums in just a week. The other four record holders are Taylor Swift's 2010 "Speak Now" (1,047,000), Britney Spears' 2000 "Oops!...I Did It Again" (1,310,000), Whitney Houston's 1992 "The Bodyguard" soundtrack (1,061,000), and Norah Jones' 2004 "Feels Like Home" (1,022,000).
That impressive sales week has also granted GaGa a No. 1 position on Billboard Hot 200. This will mark her first ever No. 1 album on the U.S. album chart. She previously debuted at No. 2 with 2008 "The Fame", landed at No. 5 with 2009 "The Fame Monster", and arrived at No. 6 with 2010 "The Remix" hit No. 6.
More Lady GaGa News
- Tom Holland Lands Lead Role in Video Game Adaptation 'Uncharted'
- Katy Perry Unmasks Her Real Self in 'Witness' Video Teaser
- Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem Officially Join Tom Cruise in Universal's Monster Film 'Dark Universe'
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Are Ready to Start Co-Parenting Their 6 Kids
- Watch Lana Del Rey Get Cozy With The Weeknd in 'Lust for Life' Video
- Kylie Jenner Is 'Annoyed' That Ariel Winter Keeps Stealing Her Look
- Kris Jenner Wants Her Marriage With Caitlyn to Be Annulled
- The Chainsmokers Hints at Collaboration with BTS