Lady GaGa Breaks Record by Officially Selling 1.1 Million Copies of 'Born This Way'
The official sales number of Lady GaGa's new album "Born This Way" is in, and it's revealed that the May 23 studio release has sold around 1,108,000 copies in its opening week. The huge number actually has been predicted by music experts when they heard that the CD was sold only for 0.99 cents on Amazon last week.
With such a big number, the Mother Monster has broken record as an artist with the highest sales week since 50 Cent sold 1,141,000 copies of his album "The Massacre" in 2005. The SoundScan-era record week, however, is still firmly held by NSYNC's 2000 "No Strings Attached" (2,416,000).
GaGa joins four other solo female acts to ever sell more than a million albums in just a week. The other four record holders are Taylor Swift's 2010 "Speak Now" (1,047,000), Britney Spears' 2000 "Oops!...I Did It Again" (1,310,000), Whitney Houston's 1992 "The Bodyguard" soundtrack (1,061,000), and Norah Jones' 2004 "Feels Like Home" (1,022,000).
That impressive sales week has also granted GaGa a No. 1 position on Billboard Hot 200. This will mark her first ever No. 1 album on the U.S. album chart. She previously debuted at No. 2 with 2008 "The Fame", landed at No. 5 with 2009 "The Fame Monster", and arrived at No. 6 with 2010 "The Remix" hit No. 6.
More Lady GaGa News
- Free the Nipples! Jennifer Aniston Ditches Her Bra Again During NYC Outing
- Yikes! Khloe Kardashian Lived With The Game, and Some Other Men, When She Was a Teen
- Joe Perry: Aerosmith's Farewell Tour Is Simply 'an Option'
- Anna Kendrick: 'I'd Be Terrible at Being Like Taylor Swift'
- This Is Your First Look at Gillian Anderson on 'American Gods'
- Tyga Caught With Mystery Blonde Following Kylie Jenner Reunion
- Demi Lovato Flaunts Her Naked Butt in Promotional Images for 'Body Say'
- Jonah Hill and Miles Teller Are Pro Money in New 'War Dogs' Trailer