Lady GaGa Breaks Record by Officially Selling 1.1 Million Copies of 'Born This Way'
The official sales number of Lady GaGa's new album "Born This Way" is in, and it's revealed that the May 23 studio release has sold around 1,108,000 copies in its opening week. The huge number actually has been predicted by music experts when they heard that the CD was sold only for 0.99 cents on Amazon last week.
With such a big number, the Mother Monster has broken record as an artist with the highest sales week since 50 Cent sold 1,141,000 copies of his album "The Massacre" in 2005. The SoundScan-era record week, however, is still firmly held by NSYNC's 2000 "No Strings Attached" (2,416,000).
GaGa joins four other solo female acts to ever sell more than a million albums in just a week. The other four record holders are Taylor Swift's 2010 "Speak Now" (1,047,000), Britney Spears' 2000 "Oops!...I Did It Again" (1,310,000), Whitney Houston's 1992 "The Bodyguard" soundtrack (1,061,000), and Norah Jones' 2004 "Feels Like Home" (1,022,000).
That impressive sales week has also granted GaGa a No. 1 position on Billboard Hot 200. This will mark her first ever No. 1 album on the U.S. album chart. She previously debuted at No. 2 with 2008 "The Fame", landed at No. 5 with 2009 "The Fame Monster", and arrived at No. 6 with 2010 "The Remix" hit No. 6.
More Lady GaGa News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story