'Hangover Part II' Is Box Office Champ, Setting New Record
The Wolf Pack steal the box office crown as "The Hangover Part II" sitting atop the chart. The raunchy comedy debuts with approximately $86.5 million and draws an A- from CinemaScore, setting a record opening for an R-rated movie by beating "Austin Powers in Goldmember". "This blows everything out of the water. It's pretty amazing stuff," Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman told The Hollywood Reporter. "Moviegoers love all the characters, and they love the story."
"Kung Fu Panda 2" also opens strong by claiming the second place. The 3-D cartoon grosses an estimated $48 million from 3,925 theaters. Although it has a healthy debut, the action comedy film falls short of the 2008 original, which debuted with $60.2 million.
Last week's champ, "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", slides to number three. The pic, which captures the fun, adventure and humor of Captain Jack Sparrow, falls about 56.4%, or grosses approximately $39.3 million.
Also moving to lower slots are "Bridesmaids" and "Thor". The comedy movie takes the fourth place by obtaining an estimated $16.4 million, while the God of Thunder film takes in approximately $9.4 million to become the fifth high-grossing film at the chart.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 27-29:
- "The Hangover Part II" - $86.5 million
- "Kung Fu Panda 2" - $48 million
- "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" - $39.3 million
- "Bridesmaids" - $16.4 million
- "Thor" - $9.4 million
- "Fast Five" - $6.6 million
- "Midnight in Paris" - $1.9 million
- "Jumping the Broom" - $1.9 million
- "Something Borrowed" - $1.8 million
- "Rio" - $1.8 million
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes