'Macho Man' Randy Savage Dies in Car Crash, Hulk Hogan Left Devastated
The wrestling world has just lost one of its greatest. "Macho Man" Randy Savage passed away on Friday morning, May 20 in a car accident in Seminole, Florida. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the pro wrestler was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he lost control of the vehicle, drove over a concrete barrier into oncoming traffic lanes and collided head-on with a tree.
The 58-year-old, who was famous for his "oooh, yeah!" catchphrase, was taken to nearby Largo Medical Center where he died from the injuries he sustained in the crash. His wife Lynn was also in the vehicle, but she survived the crash, suffering only minor injuries. Both were wearing seat belts when the accident happened.
TMZ additionally reported that Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, said that the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel. Regarding the heart attack claim, the Florida Highway Patrol stated it could not be confirmed until an autopsy is performed. Authorities added the crash was not alcohol-related, and cited "a medical event" as a possible cause.
Upon learning Randy's death, fellow pro wrestler Hulk Hogan wrote in Twitter, "I'm completely devastated, after over 10 years of not talking with Randy, we've finally started to talk and communicate." In the following posting, he tweeted, "He had so much life in his eyes & in his spirit, I just pray that he's happy and in a better place and we miss him."
The WWE has also released a statement on its site regarding the tragic passing of the pro wrestler whose real name is Randall Mario Poffo. "The WWE is saddened to learn of the passing of one of the greatest Superstars of all time, 'Macho Man' Randy Savage, who died in an automobile accident," it read.
The statement continued to read, "Poffo was under contract with WWE from 1985 to 1993 and held both the WWE and Intercontinental Championships. Our sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends."
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris