Lady GaGa and Jason Derulo Win Big at BMI Pop Music Awards
Lady GaGa and Jason Derulo were a toast at BMI Pop Music Awards. Along with JR Rotem, the two singers/songwriters were honored with Pop Songwriters of the Year at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Los Angeles. They each wrote four songs to the year's most-performed list.
The Mother Monster contributed to her own songs "Alejandro", "Bad Romance", "Paparazzi" and "Telephone". Sharing songwriting credits with Rotem, Derulo penned his own songs "In My Head", "Ridin' Solo" and "Whatcha Say" as well as Iyaz's "Replay".
Next, there was Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" which was named Pop Song of the Year. The award was handed to writers Dave Heywood and Charles Kelley. Another big winner at the May 17 ceremony was Sony/ATV Songs LLC which was crowned Pop Publisher of the Year.
Special prize, BMI Icon, was given to David Foster for his "unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers." When accepting the honor, he said, "We are making music for the heart but we are not curing heart disease. There are only 26 letters and 12 notes. Shakespeare and Beethoven said it better than we ever will."
An all-star musical tribute paid homage to Foster. Brian McKnight delivered the Earth, Wind & Fire's smash "After the Love Is Gone", Keri Hilson performed Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing", Cody Karey and Delta Goodrem partnered for "The Prayer" which was originally recorded by Celine Dion and Josh Groban. The other musical guest was Chaka Khan who capped off the tribute with her own "Through the Fire".
Complete winner list can be found at BMI.com.
More Lady GaGa News
- 'Supergirl' Casts Superman Villain Metallo for Season 2
- Blac Chyna Poses Nearly Naked for Elle and Calls Her Ex Tyga 'Kinda Cheap'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Recap: Mary Drake's Child Revealed, Someone Dead
- Mel C Reveals Why She Turned Down Spice Girls Reunion
- Drake and Rihanna Are 'Fully Dating' as They're Done 'Hiding' Their Relationship
- Miranda Kerr Reveals Ex Orlando Bloom Warned Her About His Penis Photos
- 'Star Wars' Actor Ian McDiarmid Confirms He Won't Return as Emperor Palpatine in 'Rogue One'
- Jaden and Willow Smith Want to Retire in 10 Years