'Thor' Holds Off 'Bridesmaids' at Box Office
After its thundering debut last week, "Thor" still proves to be the lord of movies in moviegoers' eyes. The Norse god film takes the first spot at the chart by collecting $34.7 million, or grossing a total of $119.5 million.
The performance of the Kenneth Branagh film is enough to hold off a strong opening from "Bridesmaids". The comedy film, which was expected to gain $15-17 million, debuts with $26.2 million. With women representing 67% of the audience, the R-rated movie receives a "B plus" rating from CinemaScore.
In the meantime, car racing-themed "Fast Five" continues to speed along at box office. The Justin Lin-directed movie claims the third place by gaining $20.4 million. The fifth installment of the "Fast and Furious" film franchise only drops 37% from last week's cume.
Horror sci-fi "Priest" debuts with a soft landing at number four. The movie, which stars Paul Bettany and Lily Collins, collects $14.9 million. Trailing behind it is "Rio", which grosses $8.3 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 13-15:
- "Thor" - $34.7 million
- "Bridesmaids" - $26.2 million
- "Fast Five" - $20.4 million
- "Priest" - $14.9 million
- "Rio" - $8.3 million
- "Jumping the Broom" - $7 million
- "Something Borrowed" - $6.9 million
- "Water for Elephants" - $4.2 million
- "Madea's Big Happy Family" - $2.2 million
- "Soul Surfer" - $1.8 million
More Thor News
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards
- Simon Pegg and Mike Myers Join Margot Robbie in Thriller 'Terminal'
- 'The Flash' Season 2 Finale: The Man in the Iron Mask Reveal Brings in Another Speedster
- Kendall Jenner Says She's Psychic. Get Details of Her Sixth Sense
- Lil Wayne and Birdman Are Still Feuding After Settlement Talks 'Broke Off'
- Khloe Kardashian Fears Blac Chyna Will Use Her Baby With Rob for Fame and Fortune
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance