'Thor' Holds Off 'Bridesmaids' at Box Office
After its thundering debut last week, "Thor" still proves to be the lord of movies in moviegoers' eyes. The Norse god film takes the first spot at the chart by collecting $34.7 million, or grossing a total of $119.5 million.
The performance of the Kenneth Branagh film is enough to hold off a strong opening from "Bridesmaids". The comedy film, which was expected to gain $15-17 million, debuts with $26.2 million. With women representing 67% of the audience, the R-rated movie receives a "B plus" rating from CinemaScore.
In the meantime, car racing-themed "Fast Five" continues to speed along at box office. The Justin Lin-directed movie claims the third place by gaining $20.4 million. The fifth installment of the "Fast and Furious" film franchise only drops 37% from last week's cume.
Horror sci-fi "Priest" debuts with a soft landing at number four. The movie, which stars Paul Bettany and Lily Collins, collects $14.9 million. Trailing behind it is "Rio", which grosses $8.3 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 13-15:
- "Thor" - $34.7 million
- "Bridesmaids" - $26.2 million
- "Fast Five" - $20.4 million
- "Priest" - $14.9 million
- "Rio" - $8.3 million
- "Jumping the Broom" - $7 million
- "Something Borrowed" - $6.9 million
- "Water for Elephants" - $4.2 million
- "Madea's Big Happy Family" - $2.2 million
- "Soul Surfer" - $1.8 million
More Thor News
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed
- Artist of the Week: Bruno Mars
- 'The Walking Dead' Star on Daryl's Part in the Latest Death: 'It Weighs Heavily on Him'
- 'Han Solo' Movie May Reveal How the Iconic Smuggler Won the Millenium Falcon
- Taylor Swift Details Alleged Groping in Deposition: I Felt 'Distressed' and 'Violated'
- Bow Wow Announces Joint Album With Soulja Boy 'Ignorant S**t' Ahead of Retirement
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories