Duo Ell/Nikki From Azerbaijan Wins 2011 Eurovision
Two unknowns from Azerbaijan managed to steal the title of 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winner. Eldar Gasimov and Nigar Jamal, known as Ell/Nikki, beat more popular acts in the grand finale which was held on Saturday, May 14 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
"We're so happy, we love you guys, we love you," the duo who performed a romantic ballad called "Running Scared" screamed. Their victory was witnessed by more than 120 million viewers in 55 countries. "I'm just a housewife with two kids," Nikki said at the press conference afterward. "My only dream was to represent my country."
The act from Azerbaijan gathered 221 points from the votes while Italy and Sweden came in second and third place respectively. U.K. which sent boyband Blue finished eleventh while Ireland's very own twin act the Jedward landed at eighth place.
"We want to bring Europe together with our song", said Eldar when asked about how the song can maybe contribute to solving many problems in Europe.
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia
- Heath Ledger's Dad Blames Son for His Tragic Death: 'It Was Totally His Fault'
- Spidey's Suit Will Have New Abilities in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Mr. Robot 2.05 Preview: This Is What You Wanted
- JoJo Was Forced to Inject Herself to Lose Weight Fast
- Calvin Harris Is Avoiding Kanye West Collab Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date