Duo Ell/Nikki From Azerbaijan Wins 2011 Eurovision
Two unknowns from Azerbaijan managed to steal the title of 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winner. Eldar Gasimov and Nigar Jamal, known as Ell/Nikki, beat more popular acts in the grand finale which was held on Saturday, May 14 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
"We're so happy, we love you guys, we love you," the duo who performed a romantic ballad called "Running Scared" screamed. Their victory was witnessed by more than 120 million viewers in 55 countries. "I'm just a housewife with two kids," Nikki said at the press conference afterward. "My only dream was to represent my country."
The act from Azerbaijan gathered 221 points from the votes while Italy and Sweden came in second and third place respectively. U.K. which sent boyband Blue finished eleventh while Ireland's very own twin act the Jedward landed at eighth place.
"We want to bring Europe together with our song", said Eldar when asked about how the song can maybe contribute to solving many problems in Europe.
- 'Stranger Things': Here's What Upside Down Is According to the Child Actors
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Grab Breakfast Sans Kids Amid Rumor They Call Off Divorce
- Cheryl's Mom Fuels Rumors Singer Is Expecting a Child With Liam Payne
- Lionsgate Is Open for More 'Twilight' Sequels
- Cara Delevingne Nearly Topless in Ripped Top for Puma Campaign
- See Tom Brady Sunbathing Completely Naked During Vacation With Gisele Bundchen
- Everyone Is Excited to Meet Superman in New 'Supergirl' Season 2 Sneak Peeks
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch