Duo Ell/Nikki From Azerbaijan Wins 2011 Eurovision
Two unknowns from Azerbaijan managed to steal the title of 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winner. Eldar Gasimov and Nigar Jamal, known as Ell/Nikki, beat more popular acts in the grand finale which was held on Saturday, May 14 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
"We're so happy, we love you guys, we love you," the duo who performed a romantic ballad called "Running Scared" screamed. Their victory was witnessed by more than 120 million viewers in 55 countries. "I'm just a housewife with two kids," Nikki said at the press conference afterward. "My only dream was to represent my country."
The act from Azerbaijan gathered 221 points from the votes while Italy and Sweden came in second and third place respectively. U.K. which sent boyband Blue finished eleventh while Ireland's very own twin act the Jedward landed at eighth place.
"We want to bring Europe together with our song", said Eldar when asked about how the song can maybe contribute to solving many problems in Europe.
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes