Duo Ell/Nikki From Azerbaijan Wins 2011 Eurovision
Two unknowns from Azerbaijan managed to steal the title of 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winner. Eldar Gasimov and Nigar Jamal, known as Ell/Nikki, beat more popular acts in the grand finale which was held on Saturday, May 14 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
"We're so happy, we love you guys, we love you," the duo who performed a romantic ballad called "Running Scared" screamed. Their victory was witnessed by more than 120 million viewers in 55 countries. "I'm just a housewife with two kids," Nikki said at the press conference afterward. "My only dream was to represent my country."
The act from Azerbaijan gathered 221 points from the votes while Italy and Sweden came in second and third place respectively. U.K. which sent boyband Blue finished eleventh while Ireland's very own twin act the Jedward landed at eighth place.
"We want to bring Europe together with our song", said Eldar when asked about how the song can maybe contribute to solving many problems in Europe.
- Meek Mill Takes More Shots at Drake on 'All the Way Up' Remix
- Disney Is Considering a Live-Action Version of 'The Little Mermaid'
- Johnny Depp Protects $400 Net Worth, Refuses Amber Heard's Request for Spousal Support
- 'Limitless' Is Canceled by CBS After One Season, Gets No Second Chance
- Beyonce Holds Hands With Jay-Z During Date Night in NYC
- New 'Captain America' Comic Reveals Steve Rogers Is a Hydra Agent All Along
- Patrick Dempsey Confirms He's Back Together With Wife Jillian Fink
- Amber Heard Files for Divorce From Johnny Depp