NHL Player Derek Boogaard Found Dead at Age 28
NHL player Derek Boogaard was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment on Friday, May 13 by members of his family. Boogaard, also known as Boogy, joined the New York Rangers in July 2010, appearing in 22 games in the 2010-11 season. He was only 28 at the time of death.
Boogaard was sidelined in several games of the regular season after suffering concussion and shoulder injury. However, it is not yet determined whether the injuries contribute to his death and autopsy will be done to find out the cause. His family is yet to release a statement regarding his passing but his fans and colleagues have expressed their sympathy.
"Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual," said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather. "He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time."
Gary Bettman, commissioner of the National Hockey League, also said, "The news that we have lost someone so young and so strong leaves everyone in the National Hockey League stunned and saddened. The NHL family sends its deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Derek Boogaard, to those who played and worked with him and to everyone who enjoyed watching him compete."
Boogaard's profile and achievement during his career can be found on Rangers' official site.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed