Katy Perry Breaks Hot 100 Record by Spending Whole Year on Top 10
Katy Perry celebrates a record-breaking accolade this week. The "Last Friday Night (TGIF)" singer becomes the first artist in more than five-decade history to spend 52 consecutive weeks - an entire year - in the top 10 of the U.S. single chart.
Perry began to log in to the chart on May 29, 2010 when she debuted at No. 2 with Snoop Dogg-assisted single "California Gurls". The summer anthem then rose to No. 1 and occupied the penthouse for six weeks. It continued to become a holdover at the top 10 list all the way through September.
When "California Gurls" was out of the list, its follow up has already climbed to the top 10. The title track of her album "Teenage Dream" hit No. 7 on August 14, and become her second No. 1 single that year on September 18. It ruled the weekly rundown for two weeks.
Following the success of its two predecessors, the third single "Fireworks" rose from No. 29 to No. 10 on November 20, 2010 and remained on the list until early January 2011, extending Perry's top 10 longevity mark. The next single, which broke the top 10, was "E.T." The alien-themed single made its top 10 debut on the chart by rising to No. 8 on March 12 this year, and is currently sitting at No. 2.
Prior to Perry, Ace of Base had occupied the Hot 100's top 10 for 48 straight weeks (October 1993- September 1994) with such singles as "All That She Wants", "The Sign" and "Don't Turn Around". Santana and Mariah Carey followed them by having their singles at the top 10 for 42 consecutive frames and 41 weeks in a row respectively.
More Katy Perry News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says