Unwilling to Be Charity Case, Jacob Lusk Keeps Life Private on 'Idol'
Jacob Lusk has unveiled the reason why he kept his difficult past private during his stint on "American Idol". Days after he got eliminated from the singing competition, the 23 year-old gospel singer spoke to MTV News and candidly said, "I didn't want to be a charity case," when the subject was brought up.
"I didn't want to use my father's death," the fifth-placer elaborated his remark during the chat taking place on Monday afternoon, May 9, "or my mom starting on welfare and going to college or getting her degree or me moving on my own and having rough times and barely finding a place to live and barely making ends meet."
Asked if he was tempted to share his stories, Jacob gave a definite nod. He added that he managed to keep his private life under the radar because he "didn't want to be that person who was voted for" due to his past. "I wanted it to be because of my [voice] and not because of anything else," he noted. "If you find out about that later, then that's fine, but it's just about the music."
Jacob got the boot from "Idol" last Thursday night, May 5. A day afterward, he told reporters during a conference call that he had expected to be eliminated. He explained, "I was the only one who wasn't in his element this past week. I did songs that weren't in my genre, that weren't really my thing. This wasn't the time to do that."
- Solange Releases 'A Seat at the Table' Album Featuring Lil Wayne and Kelly Rowland
- 'The Bachelor': Get Details of Nick Viall's Carnival Date
- Is That a Baby Bump? Christina Aguilera Looks Pregnant When Attending Drake's Concert
- Yes, Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and She Wants You to Try It Too
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Gets Official Synopsis, First Footage Is Coming to NYCC
- Iggy Azalea Pushes Back 'Digital Distortion' Release to 2017, Cites Nick Young Drama
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo